Who Are You Known As?

This has been on my heart for quite some time now and one Sunday morning during church (and also after church) I was reminded of who I was growing up.  I grew up as the baby girl in the family.  I was the youngest of two brothers and one thing was certain, I was NOT the favorite child.  My oldest brother and I joke about the favorite Payne child, Beck.  Everything was always Beck, Beck, Beck.  (like Marsha Marsha Marsha from The Brady Bunch)  Growing up in school and also sports, I was known as Beck's little sister for most of my life.  I was probably known as Beck's little sister more than I was referred to as Robert Charles Payne's daughter.  I would always pick with Beck and tell him that I would introduce myself to people as Laurie Payne and their response would always be, "Oh, Beck's sister".  I always wanted to respond with "No, my name is Laurie, not Beck's sister."  But, I was proud of being Beck's sister.  My brother has always been a very likable person.  He made a name for himself at a very early age because of his athletic abilities.  He was a star so I didn't mind being Beck's little sister.  I also didn't mind hearing the words, "Oh, you are Robert Charles Payne's daughter" because I was proud.  I was proud of who I was known as around West Monroe.  There was my one claim to fame while my brother Beck attended The University of Louisiana at Monroe.  Finally, Beck heard the words, "Oh, you are Laurie Payne's sister" and of course, Beck smiled and said yes!   I thought at some point in my life, I would be known as Laurie Payne.  I wouldn't be known as Beck's sister or Coach Payne's daughter.  But, as I transitioned into motherhood, I became Kendall's mom and laughed it off guessing I would never be known as Laurie.   I began to think about others who weren't as fortunate as I was growing up.  They didn't have the pride of being Beck's sister or Robert Charles Payne's daughter.  They weren't proud of who they were known as.  They may have had a negative image because of certain people in their lives.  They automatically were judged by others actions.  But, they have hope.  They don't have to be known as another's sister or daughter.  They don't have to be known as their past.  They don't have to be known as a failure or a mistake.  They don't have to be known as a disease that has consumed their body.  They can be known as a child of God.  To know we are a child of God can give us a reason to be proud.  A reason to hold our head high on a daily basis.  It can give us hope for our future.


Who are you known as?  What choices are you making today that could result in a positive or negative image for those who follow in your foot steps?  Remember that the way you live doesn't just reflect on you but those that follow you.

Comments