What Will You Do Without Me

My dad would always ask me what I would do without him.  What would I do when I no longer had my daddy to depend on?  I always told him that I would survive.  Number one, I wouldn't have any other choice.  Number two, I would make it because he raised me to take care of myself.  He gave me and my brothers all the tools we needed to be successful.  And not just financially.  He instilled in us from day one that we could do anything that we set our minds to.  He reminded us that if we chose a profession that we truly loved, we would never work a day in our life.  I would always try to reassure him that he did an exceptional job raising me and my brothers.  We made our own decisions in life and at times, perhaps they weren't the best.  But I always told him, he never failed us.  Ever.

The day my dad passed away, I chose to live.  To live life to the fullest.  To live life with no regrets.  To live life striving to be the best I can be.  To live life with passion and purpose. To live life without looking back and thinking "what if".  Everyday that I get up, I think about my dad.  What would my dad want me to do?  Am I making him proud?  What would my dad do in certain situations that I face?  On June 22, 2013, I was motivated in ways I never thought possible.  I realized that I no longer had my dad and was faced with the question he always asked me.  Laurie, What will you do without me? 

Nothing has been easy and there are days I want to crawl back in bed and just give up.  But that's not what I was taught.  It's not how I was raised.  I have a purpose in life.  Part of that purpose is to pass down the legacy my dad left behind to my five year old.  I find myself saying things to my son that my dad told me growing up.  I tell him over and over and over how important he is and how special he is and when I do, I hear my dad.  The longer I live without my dad, the more I realize the impact he had on my life.   

Thank you dad for the life you gave me.

Comments