The Wall Around My Heart Is Crumbling


My Heart Is Changing

 I've always been the "tough girl".  The girl that doesn't cry.  I could watch any movie that left most girls dehydrated because they cried the entire movie, without shedding a single tear.  I was the youngest of 3 kids... The baby sister to 2 older brothers.  I was the baby girl but boy did I grow thick skin and quick! Hang around our family for one meal and you will understand why. 

 But my heart is changing.  When I was in high school, kids annoyed me.  I didn't want kids.  Heck I remember how annoying I was as a kid so why would I possibly want kids.  Well of course that changed... Kids are a blessing.  Kids are truly miracles. They teach us life lessons if we allow them to.  They remind us about innocence.  They remind us that no dream is too big! Adults can possibly learn more from a child than a child can from an adult! I love to just watch my son live.  I love to hear his questions... His stories... What he thinks.  He's a reminder to slow down.  Enjoy the moment!  Every moment before its soon a memory.

And old people!!! Define old?? Old people annoyed me! They are slow! I like to go fast! I like to walk fast... Drive fast... Talk fast... Run fast...I do everything fast! But my heart has changed.  

Growing up I thought my parents were old but I realized, possibly too late, they were not old at all.  My dad left us at the age of 69! That is not old... I now walk around and tear up every time I see an "old" person because I now know, I won't see my dad grow old. "Old" people can teach us about life.  What's important... What's not.  They are fragile much like a child.   They don't care ... Much like a child.  It's the "mid-life" that most struggle with in life.  Why can't we learn earlier what life is all about? 

I pray daily that my heart changes more and more to see life as fragile! It passes too quickly! Things change... I need to embrace today for what it is... Today!!

Comments