Kendall's Mom

My entire life I have been known as Robert Charles Payne's daughter or Beck Payne's sister.  It has become a joke for those that know me well.  It doesn't and hasn't ever bothered me to never be called by my name...Laurie or even Lori... Laura...Lauren... (another joke among those that know me). 

Over the past 6 years, I have transitioned into Kendall's mom.  I believe for a brief period in time, while I lived in Baton Rouge, I was known as Laurie Payne.  I was no ones daughter or sister.  I was known for what I did or who I was. But being known as Kendall's mom certainly doesn't bother me.  It's a blessing.  I'm proud to be Kendall's mom.  I love hearing little kids say "hey Kendall's mom."  I AM the one who wears the shirt with the letters on the back...Kendall's Mom.  I have never been more proud to wear his name on my shirt.  I want people to know he belongs to ME.  It's nothing I'm ashamed of and it's something special for my little boy.  He gets to SEE his mother proud to display his name on her shirt.  He can see others supporting their children so what would he think if his mother didn't support him the same? 

I want my little boy to know how proud I am of him at all times.  I want to praise him every day and speak great things over him.  If my son was playing in the NFL, I'm pretty sure no one would question me as I put on a jersey with his name on the back.  It would be a proud moment for any parent.  So why would him playing t-ball or football be any different?  I don't think a child has to be in the lime light for a parent to be proud of them.  I think there are things our kids do on a daily basis that should make us proud.  It should be reason enough daily to praise them and remind them how special they are. 

I hope that as my son grows older...my love for him only grows deeper.  I pray my pride continues to grow stronger.  I strive for him to be a child that constantly brings joy to me.  I hope and pray that he becomes the Proverbs 15:20 wise son that brings joy to his father (mother). 

I never EVER doubted how proud I made my dad...from an early age...it didn't matter what I did for him, he praised me. I could dance and sing for him...and he would sit and watch me, smiling.  I could make something for him and it would be worth more than gold.  He was a proud dad...and I am a proud mom! I now understand the term "mama's boy".  I will forever be proud when I hear the words...Kendall's Mom!

Comments