I Don't Like People

Before you judge me, read this in its entirety.  Years ago, this was a saying I used quite often.  I would have people tell me, "as much as you say you don't like people, you sure do go to a lot of social events."  I never thought twice about it but just kept using my line "I don't like people" or "I'm not a people person."  I think what was happening was I got to see the "realness" in people and that was what I didn't like.  I was seeing the true colors come out in people and it bothered me.  It bothered me that people could do the things they did.  It bothered me that people could be so two-faced.  It bothered me that people could blast another human being while living a life that could lead down the same path.  But what I think God was doing, was opening my heart.  I think I liked people so much, it hurt me to see how they could truly be.  I believe I put a guard up and used the saying "I don't like people" so I wouldn't hurt when they would do certain things or treat people certain ways.  I was more protecting myself.

Over the past couple of years, I have let my guard down.  I have come to the conclusion that I do like people.  I love people.  I love learning their ways.  I love learning their stories.  I love seeing someone so vulnerable and open.  I love watching someone grow and overcome their past.  I see "hurt" people and I am drawn to them.  I see potential in people that others may not see.  I see past the "tough" guy front that most put on to cover up a "broken" heart or a "soft" heart.  I see addicts and I won't to pick them up and walk with them on their journey of recovery.  I see women who feel like they can't make it on their new journey of singleness, and I want to help them.  God has opened my eyes to see people as He created them.  People are the most amazing creatures.  I like to think that there is good in all of us. 

God has blessed me with some of the most amazing people because I have allowed people to be real.  I have allowed them into my life to see the "real" me.  I have dropped the "tough" guy jacket that clothed me for so long.  I want to know people and why they do the things they do.  Why do people hate?  Why do people "hurt" others?  Why do people kick others when they are down?  Why do people choose a road that leads them to death?  Why can't some people see their potential?  I am drawn to people.  I want to "fix" people and have accepted the fact that I can't.  But it doesn't mean I won't give it my all and try. 

Look past what you initially see when you meet someone.  Look at the good in their lives.  Look past their past.  Find out why they have a past.  Take time to look around you when surrounded by people and enjoy their presence.  Watch them closely and you can learn a lot. Let your guard down and allow people to know you on a more personal level. We were created to encourage one another...not tear them down. We were not created to do life alone...but with others. 

So if you are reading this and you struggle with "people", I encourage you to see them differently today.  Look past the surface and find out why they are the way they are.  Why they act the way they act.  Perhaps  you may be the one person they have needed to believe in them. 

Comments