It's My Anniversary And I Didn't Know It


I received a text yesterday morning that said the below:

One year ago today, you spoke to our club.  It was the first meeting after New Years and you got us off on a good start.  If you ever want to come back, you know you are welcome.  Still enjoying your blog.  Your dad would be proud or maybe I should say is proud.

I cannot tell you what that message meant to me.  I met the person (Mr. Jim) that sent this text one year ago yesterday.  He reminds me so much of my dad.  I do not think it was coincidence that this man crossed my path.  God knows exactly what you need and when you need it.  I needed someone in my life just like Mr. Jim.  I thank God for him and his generous heart. And for never forgetting me...or my son.  To put others above yourself... to remember something that someone may have forgotten... and for it to be so significant.  It was almost a challenge to me this morning.  To be PURPOSEFUL in my relationships.  To allow God to use me as a vessel to touch the lives of others.  To not forget those that have been placed in my life.  To remember more.  To be a lifeline to someone that desperately needs one.

The text reminded me of that day in Winnfield, LA.  I had not been to that particular Rotary meeting since I competed in Miss LA, which was 2005.  My dad went with me to all of my speaking engagements and when I walked in that room, tears filled my eyes.  I was attempting my promise of telling my story...but this time without my dad.  But I had such a warm welcome.  It was not a large crowd but it was absolutely perfect.  After I spoke, I was introduced to a man that played football for my dad (Coach Payne).  The older man that introduced him told me that he wanted to meet the daughter of Coach Payne.  I would have loved to tell my dad that story.  I felt like someone that day...and I felt the love and admiration others had for my dad.  It humbled me.  That man shared with me a story that he said he would never forget.  He explained to me how much my dad genuinely cared for his players.  Not just how well they did in the game on the field, but the game of life. 


Not long after I spoke, I received a newspaper article featuring my speaking engagement.  It was such an honor...to see the Payne name back in the paper.  I am beyond proud to be the daughter of Coach Payne.

My reasoning behind all of this is to make a point today, tomorrow, next week...to encourage someone.  Send them a letter, an e-mail, a text...whatever it is you choose.  You never know how your words can change someone's day.  Just a simple "I'm proud of you" can go miles.

Happy Anniversary Building a Better You -2...


Comments