Cancer Couldn't

Cancer Couldn't

Recently my brother and I were talking about my dads devotion to his grand kids. There was nothing that would keep him away from watching them play ball or attend their parties, recitals, plays, etc. His heart was his grand kids. 

A little over a month before my dad passed away, he was at the ballpark walking back and forth between my sons game and his granddaughters game. He had a tumor wrapped around his spinal cord -unbearable pain - he had lung cancer - he had prostate cancer - he could barely feel his feet - but yet he was walking (maybe shuffling) between ball fields. I remember looking down from the stands to see my dad smiling behind the backstop as he watched his grandson play ball. I even took a picture that evening because it was a sight that brought tears to my eyes.  It was the coach in him that made me do a double take but now I see it was far beyond that -- it was his heart playing ball. Innocent grand kids enjoying life. He soaked in every single moment he could. 

He was always tired but he would make sure to get up and go eat lunch with me. He was sick as a dog but he would manage to come watch my little boy any chance he could get. He wasn't able to physically tackle or play baseball with my son but he would sit in a chair and do his best. His body was failing him but his mind and his heart were in overdrive. 

Cancer couldn't stop my dad from watching his grand kids play ball. Cancer couldn't stop my dad from eating with his daughter. Cancer couldn't stop my dad from visits out of town to watch his first born granddaughter perform. Cancer couldn't stop his heart from loving unconditionally. Cancer couldn't keep him away. Cancer couldn't do a lot. 

So what's our excuse? Most of us have a healthy body but yet find excuse after excuse for our devotion to others. To our kids. To our family. To our friends. To our church. Our body physically can do it all but our hearts and minds fail us.  What my dad would have done for one day with a body that functioned at full capacity. I am guilty of complaining when I'm tired. I am guilty of being lazy at times. I am guilty of putting people off until another day because I just don't feel "good". I am guilty of taking advantage of what I have at the moment. 

Look around you today. Who do you need to spend time with today? What can you do to show someone that you care about them? Today happens only once -- tomorrow is not promised. Quit making excuses and make it happen. Life is good - but it can be better with a little effort on our part. 

Comments