I'm Perfect

Now that I've got your attention.  For those that follow me on social media, I want to explain myself. Why I do what I do and post what I post.

I am a single mom.  I don't play the "poor pitiful me" game.  I don't question, "Why me?"  I share "part" of my journey but not all of it. Why? Because I feel that I need to "protect" my story, my testimony.  I need to guard my heart from others that may want to see me fall or enjoy the moments where I fail. Not everyone is for me or you. Shocker?

I want to encourage others.  I want to inspire others.  Especially those that share a similar journey.  I don't want to bring gloom and doom to the world because we have enough as it is right now. I can't share all my struggles because others are involved and I will respect them whether they are in the right or wrong. So I share "my" part.

Not everything is as it appears on social media.  Marriages aren't perfect.  Parents are perfect. Kids aren't perfect.  The gossip you read isn't truth.  Know that when you scroll through Facebook or Instagram.

I am FAR from perfect. I am FAR from being super mom or the best mom. I have a shirt from Good Hyouman that says, "Best Mom Ever."  It's not to brag but I am proud to be a mom to my little boy.  I do believe I am "the best" for him but not always the best. God chose me to be his mom.  No one else did.  I strive to give it my best and I fail daily.  We all do. So don't get discouraged.

Let me share a little of my failures because I don't ever want anyone to think I have it all together.

1.  "No girls allowed, except mom."  These words hung on my little boy's bedroom door until one day. One day, my little boy got upset at something I did or said. He scratched through the, "except mom" and crushed my spirits. I felt like a failure.  What did I do wrong?

2. You are the worst mom ever. Have you ever heard those words?  They are tough to hear and rip your heart out. But when you discipline, when you correct, you will hear those words. Don't take them to heart.

3. I wish I had another mom. I'm not sure which words are harder to hear.  You are the worst mom ever or I wish I had another mom. Once again, when you discipline and correct, they will buck. Don't give in and don't give up. You won't regret it and they will appreciate it when they are older.

4. I yell. Yup. Am I proud? Of course not. There are days I am "tapped out" and my son suffers the consequences.  Is it fair? No. Is it right? No.  As soon as the words fly out of my mouth, I want to crawl into a hole as if I don't exist. But I apologize and explain to him that yelling is not acceptable. I am a work in progress. Are you?

5. I worry.  I question everything I do. Worrying isn't healthy. I want to be that "helicopter" mom and put my child in a bubble. I don't want him to hurt. I don't want others to hurt him. I find myself standing up for him when I need to let him "experience" life. I can't protect him forever and I need to let him learn, life isn't fair.  People are cruel. People will hurt you.

I fail. Daily.  Other moms do too. Don't be so hard on yourself. Don't compare your life to others. Especially on social media. My life may appear perfect on social media, but it's far from perfect. But I'm not here to spread the bad in life. I want to celebrate the good. I want to share with others as they celebrate the good, too.

Be you! Be the best you! Celebrate the best. Celebrate the good.

Comments