When Others Believe

Passion. What do you love?  What gets you up in the morning?  What drives you?

For me, it's single moms. Now this hasn't always been my passion.  My heart probably never went out to single moms, probably not even moms. Growing up, my mom did it all. Looking back, I have no idea how she did it. So selfless.

But today, I am not only a mom but a single mom.  I watch young moms juggle school, work, multiple jobs, while raising a young child. Little to no sleep. They amaze me. They motivate me.  They inspire me.  You can say they have no other choice but to do what they do. But they do have choices.  They could sit home and expect handouts.  They don't have to go back to school.  They don't have to have multiple jobs.  But they do so to better themselves and give their child(ren) a better life.  A life where they don't have to struggle.  They go without so that their kids can have.  And their kids learn more than the working mom will ever know. They watch.  They see.  Everything.

My heart. Single moms. I love to see them succeed. To be promoted at work. To graduate with a bachelor's degree but not stopping there.  They go a step further and pursue their master's degree.  I get excited when they embark on new endeavors.  It IS my passion.

It's the meaning behind Moms Matter, a ministry for single moms.  We recently celebrated our 2 year anniversary.  Two years, moms have been gathering once a month to encourage each other.  To lock arms and keep moving forward.  As I sit back and watch them, it humbles me.  God can use our hurts for HIS glory.

But what amazes me is not only these single moms, but those who believe in this ministry.  I received a text message from a dear friend the night we celebrated our two year anniversary.  Once again, I was humbled.  I was in awe of how good God is and just how awesome people can truly be.  When they believe in you and your dreams.  When they encourage you.  Support you.  Pray for you. It definitely keeps me going and I know it keeps others going as well.  When you have support, it makes your "job" a lot easier.  You may want to give up but just when you want to throw in the towel, you get a little reminder from someone who believes in you.

I want to share just a small portion of the text I received:

I pray that Moms Matter be the best it's ever been tonight!! This is the 2nd anniversary and you have to go through the 2nd, 5th, 10th before you one day get to the 22nd anniversary. (they even know the meaning behind the #22). I see Moms Matter being a long-term that will get to the 22nd anniversary one day!! GOOD JOB obeying the Holy Spirit and braving the last two years!! I'm proud of you...

Can I get a wow? This right here along with some amazing single moms, keeps me going.  It makes me fight for other single moms and their dreams. Why is it so hard for others to encourage?  To believe in you?  To be proud of you?  Are you a dream crusher or believer?  Do you listen to others and tell them that their dreams are impossible?  They are silly?  They will never accomplish them?  Or are you like my precious friend and light a fire that starts a new passion within someone that almost went out?

Let's have ears to hear and eyes to see.  The bigger picture.  Not the impossible but the one who makes the impossible possible!

Dream BIG.  Don't give up!



Comments