It's a Good Hurt

Time.  It's a gift that we all have but waste so much of every day.  It's a gift some beg for every single day.  More time.  More time with their loved one.  More time to get their errands done.  More time to spend with their kids because work consumes so much of their day.  More time to sleep or rest.  More time to clean the house.  More time to goof off or do foolish things.  More time.

It's a gift that we can give others unselfishly.  A gift that many cherish more than anything else in the world.  Time.  This world is getting too fast paced and it seems we don't make time for what's important anymore.  We tend to forget that those we love won't be around forever.  But yet, we continue to run around like a chicken with our heads cut off to do what?  Impress who?  Accomplish what?

I visit with my granddad at least once a week and I leave feeling absolutely horrible because I want to give him more of my time.  My last visit with him was one for the books.  I like to journal visits or sayings from him or my little boy because they typically make me laugh or make a good topic for a blog.  My granddad always feels bad.  He will complain of pain and just hurting all over.  This last visit, he said he just didn't feel good and would probably never walk again.  I told him that we would still be able to get him where he needed to be and he seemed to be okay with that for the time being.  We talked about recent events and then I tried to get him to talk about his childhood because that's what he remembers best.  He told me that those were the best days and that the best days were now behind him.  Wow. I didn't know what to say to that because his health is quickly declining.  I wanted him to know that he lived a good life and now it's time for him to rest and take it easy.  That's when I asked him his age.  I don't know about you but I lose track of time and forget my own age.  His answer was not right.  My granddad told me that he was 83 so I had to correct him because I remember celebrating his 85th birthday.  I asked him what year he was born and he said 1928.  Whew! I said, "Grandddad, you are 88 years old!" His reply made me laugh, "I've been telling everybody I'm 83, I'm 88.  No wonder I feel so bad."  We both got a good chuckle out of that and I think it made him feel a little better.  Laughter is good for the body and soul.  I believe it to be healing.

Our visits always involve tears.  He will tell me that he doesn't know what he would do without me and that he appreciated me stopping by to visit with him.  He then said it made him hurt.  I told him that I didn't want him to hurt but he explained that it was a good hurt.  I finally got it.  He felt special.  He liked the fact that someone was showing him attention.  He felt like someone cared enough about him to take time out of their day to come and see him.  I told him that I understood and would continue to come see him. I had already asked him when I first woke him up if he knew who I was and that day, he did. 

As our visit came to an end, he told me, "I will never forget you, that's for sure."  For those of you that don't know, my granddad has forgotten who I was on several occasions and always apologized.  But I knew what he was trying to tell me.  He was grateful for my time.  He could never forget someone that took time out of their day to come and visit with him.

I share this because I need to be more cautious with my time and certainly give more of it to those I love and cherish.  What is the one thing that loved ones left behind always want more of when their loved ones pass?  Time.  So, hurt someone good today.  Give them a gift that money can't buy.   Time.
 

Comments