God Can You Hear Me?


If you are anything like me, Christmas can bring out every single emotion imaginable.  Joy.  Heartache.  Magical moments.  Gut wrenching moments.  Laughter.  Tears.  Expectancy.  Let down.  Depression.  Grief.  Hope.  I could go on and on and on.  I feel them often and sometimes all at once. 

Every year at our church, Family Church in West Monroe, LA, we write down prayer requests.  I recently got mine back, as well as my little boys, and it about knocked me off my feet.  Literally.  Every single prayer was written out in great detail.  Prayers for healing.  Prayers for my family.  Prayers for the lost that I love.  Prayers for those that are held in bondage.  I can't even write this without tears falling from my eyes.  Why God?  Why don't you hear my prayers?  That was my initial reaction and response.  And that was only after opening my prayer requests.  I then went to open my little boys requests.  I didn't think he had written any but I turned the piece of paper over to find his one simple request.  And that one prayer has not been answered.  I believe tears were an understatement at this time because they were non-stop.  One big waterfall.  God why?  Why can't I scratch off one of my prayer requests as being answered.  Are my requests too big?  Are they unreal?  Are they impossible?  Will they ever get answered?  Have you ever felt like that when praying? 

I went to put my prayer sheet up where I have my others stored but read it one more time before putting it up.  I guess to just let the sting hit me once more as if the first time wasn't enough.  I read the prayer that I wrote on the backside.  I was believing God's promises over the prayers that I wrote on the front page.  I was clinging to His word because I know His word to be true.  I signed it but then wrote one last request, fostering.  I simply folded the paper and put it in my drawer and walked away with my head down and tears flowing.  A drawer of unanswered prayers.  A drawer filled with heartache.  A drawer that held my hearts desires and many prayers left unanswered.

I didn't know what to do at this point but continue to pray and tell God that I know that His promises are true.  I said these things out loud.  I reminded myself that this year is far from over and God is still the God of the impossible.  But He better hurry because there aren't many days left.  I gathered myself and got ready for church.

It wasn't until the middle of our church service that the last request appeared before me.  I could see it clearly.  FOSTERING.  Well, if you follow me or know me, I don't have any foster kids so that prayer would seem unanswered to most.  But then God began to speak.  Laurie, I know your needs more than you know them.  I know your heart and I will grant you the desires of your heart.  You have to trust me.  You have to believe that my will, my plan for your life is far greater than yours ever will be.  Laurie, open your eyes and look beyond the words.  Look at your life and what I have been doing in your life.  That's when I saw my prayer answered.  When I wrote the word "fostering," I wrote two other words beside it - "lead me." 

God hears us.  God knows us.  He knows those around us.  Have you ever thanked God for unanswered prayers?  Have you ever asked God why He hasn't answered your prayers?  Maybe...just maybe He has answered them but our eyes are blinded to the great things He has done.  We are so distracted by the world around us that we can't see what God is doing in our lives.  We are focused on what He "hasn't done" that we don't even thank Him for what He has done. 

Let me tell you -- God has moved in my family.  He has moved within the four walls of my home.  He has answered more prayers that I haven't even spoken because He knows the desires of my heart.  He knows what my 8 year old son needs more than I ever will.  The prayer I quickly wrote down before I sealed my 2016 prayer request, was answered.  It wasn't answered how I thought it would be answered but it was answered exactly how God had planned.

Fostering...became welcoming an exchange student not too long before 2016 would/will come to an end.  Our God is good.  Our God is great.  Our God is powerful.  Our God is in control.  Our God hears our prayers.  Don't quit praying.  Never let your praying knees get lazy.  Open your eyes and ask God to show you answered prayers that you (we) have overlooked.

Do not get discouraged.  God doesn't revolve around our time.  He works miracles 24/7.  He works miracles day after day and year after year.  Just because you may not be able to check off prayer after prayer, He is moving behind the scenes.  He does what we cannot do.  He sees what we cannot see.  He moves when we cannot move.  He is God.  We are not.  God can you hear me?  Yes, yes He can! 
 
       

Comments