Two Different Worlds


Never judge a book by it's cover.  Never judge someone unless you have walked in their shoes - even then...you have no right to judge.  We all have different styles and sizes... so just keep yours on your feet and let others continue walking in theirs unless you are able to help.  You never know what another is going through any given day.   

A few weeks ago someone sent me a text... "You have always had a different view of the world."  As if, for a moment, they finally understood my view.  Did they finally grasp where I was coming from when I tried my best to explain things or defend my actions?  There are days that I wish this statement wasn't true.  There are days that I wish I viewed the world as others do.  But I can't.  I have tried.  I have wanted to but it's just not possible.  My life has forever been changed and the way I view the world will never be the same.  It's not necessarily a bad thing but at times...I would like to see the world through another pair of eyes.  Over ten years ago, my eyes were opened to another world.  Over 9 years ago, I quit seeing life through my eyes and started to see them through a pair of big brown eyes.    


I have learned that addiction is real.  I  have learned that addiction can destroy lives and I'm not referring to the life of the addict but the lives surrounding them.  I have learned compassion.  I have learned not to judge, though I don't always succeed.  I want to know what makes people do what they do.  I am learning there is always a reason behind actions whether they are good or bad.  I have learned that grief is real even if someone is still alive.  It's a grief or pain I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy.  I didn't have a choice but to see the world differently...my world was flipped upside down overnight.     

Several years ago, my co-worker didn't understand anything about my life.  I could explain things to her until I turned blue in the face but she still didn't get it.  Nothing I did made sense to anyone around me.  It wasn't until a couple of years ago that this co-worker caught a glimpse of my world.  She apologized to me and told me that she has learned to give grace even when she does not understand.  To empathize with others and to not judge because you truly never know their situation or story.  There is always more than one side.  ALWAYS.  You may never understand but if you are reading this... I challenge you to give grace to others.  Their life might not look like yours.  You may think their life is perfect but you never know the ins and outs.  The highs and lows.  The reason behind their fight.  They've had to adjust their binoculars... their view... what they were focused on... until they themselves could see a clearer picture of their life. 

It may take days...weeks...months...years... We may all live on planet earth...but we live in two different worlds.

Comments