I Am Not Prejudice


Hi, my name is addiction and I am not prejudice.

Addiction was very prominent in my life long before I met the father of my little boy.  I watched addiction consume someone I loved very dearly.  I watched them do things and act in ways that I had never seen before.  At the time, I wasn't familiar with addiction.  I didn't know the magnitude of it's destruction.  I just knew it was going to kill this person I loved dearly if something didn't change.  But that is their story to tell.

But over the years, it has hit closer and closer to home.  I didn't know it could get any closer than what I had already witnessed.  I am not going to go into detail about the past 11 years of my life.  But I want to paint you a picture of addiction.  Some of you reading this may be familiar with both sides so you might be able to understand in greater detail.  

Addiction is one of the most, if not the most, destructive demons one will ever battle.  Most cannot wrap their mind around addiction.  I read in Romans 7 the below verses several years ago and it spoke to me in so many different ways.

Struggling with Sin

14 So the trouble is not with the law, for it is spiritual and good. The trouble is with me, for I am all too human, a slave to sin. 15 I don’t really understand myself, for I want to do what is right, but I don’t do it. Instead, I do what I hate. 16 But if I know that what I am doing is wrong, this shows that I agree that the law is good. 17 So I am not the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it.
18 And I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature.[d] I want to do what is right, but I can’t. 19 I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway. 20 But if I do what I don’t want to do, I am not really the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it.
21 I have discovered this principle of life—that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. 22 I love God’s law with all my heart. 23 But there is another power[e] within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. 24 Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? 25 Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God’s law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin.

Addiction doesn't show favoritism.  It doesn't matter your color.  It doesn't matter your social status.  It doesn't matter your age.  It doesn't matter your religion.  Addiction will destroy anyone in it's path.  ANYONE AND EVERYONE. 

Addiction tried to destroy my own life.  Addiction attempted to destroy my family.  And I say attempted because addiction did not win.  We may have broken pieces but we have peace.

With addiction comes many emotions:  anger, hatred, bitterness, maybe unforgiveness.  But what if we chose compassion, understanding, love, along with prayer?

I can't say that my prayers saved someone I loved...but I can't say that they didn't have a huge part. 

I can guarantee...today, you will come face to face with an addict.  Perhaps you were looking at one this morning as you were brushing your teeth.  Maybe you woke up next to one.  You will also come face to face with an innocent bystander in the path of addiction.  You may not know it.  You may not know the weight they are carrying on their shoulders.  I beg of you...look past the face of the addict.  It's much deeper than a face.  It's a battle.  A daily battle.  Maybe an hourly battle - some of you may can relate to this right now.  Have compassion for those who live a life you may never understand.  If you can't find it within you, pray that God will change your heart.

Because let me tell you...addiction doesn't care who it destroys.  

 



Comments