Don’t Make a Peep

When something brings so much laughter and happiness to your life... it brings that much heartache when it’s no longer around. 

We had an amazing day here in West Monroe, La.  It was a Winter Wonderland for a few hours.  We would play outside until we couldn’t feel our fingers and then go inside to thaw out.  We would run back out and ride the golf cart around pulling a REAL sled until we were completely wet from the snow that was beginning to melt.  A day off work.  Kids out of school. And SNOW! Pretty much the perfect day.

It’s like a miracle for those who live in the south.  I came home that day a little after midnight to check on my farm animals because the temps were going to be below freezing.  I was so worried about my pot belly pig because he had somehow managed to push all of his hay from inside his pig house, outside his pig house .  I didn’t have much to give him but I found a nice flannel blanket for him to wrap up in.  Literally a pig in a blanket.  My goat had plenty of hay and a little sweater on as well as his house so I thought he would be just fine.  Goats are hardy animals... so I thought.

The next morning I woke up to take my dog out... I called for my goat but didn’t hear him make a “peep.”  His name was Peeps.  Peeps the Easter goat. I ran to his kennel and saw him nestled in the back of his kennel.  I called his name again but he didn’t move.  The temperature got so cold that he was barely breathing and certainly not moving.  I grabbed him and started talking to him (literally) and praying for him. I wrapped him up and put him next to our heater inside.  I yelled at my son, who was still asleep, that our goat was frozen.  Talk about a nightmare turned reality.  I couldn’t believe those words were coming out of my mouth. I was hysterical.  I had no clue what to do. I had two little boys, one 6 and the other, my 9 year old.  I was fighting back tears and trying to remain calm. Not successful.

I called two vets.  One was closed and one wouldn’t see him.  I drove around in circles until I found one that would take him.  

He was barely hanging on... I gave him to the vet and that’s the last time I saw my goat alive.

My heart is crushed.  I hate to even write this but I hope in doing so... one little animal may survive a cold winter night. 

Goats are tough and I thought I had enough for him to stay warm.  I was wrong and now the laughter and happiness he brought us is gone. It’s amazing how animals do this to us... For those of you that have a heart for animals... you understand.

For nearly one year... our little Peeps always reminded us he was back there.  Then one morning our days went from amazing... to awful in just 8 hours.

My little boy is absolutely crushed.  He had so many questions that I didn’t have answers to.  It opened doors for us to talk about bad things happening to good people.  We talked about God being good even when things are bad. We hugged and we cried right in front of our local Family Dollar.  Over a little goat.


In honor of our Peeps... please be extra careful even if your animals can handle the cold winter weather. 

Comments