My Closet Is A Sin


Oh, how I wish I was able to walk into a LARGE and CLEAN closet.  I have so many clothes and shoes that I would love to have them all organized.  Pageant clothes.  Business attire.  Workout clothes that will be worn this year at some point.  Casual clothes.  Sleep clothes.  But so little space.  My house isn't a new home so the closets are teeny tiny.  Just a place to sit down and attempt my routine hair and make-up... surrounded by neatly arranged and color coordinated clothes hanging up nicely.  I would be able to see the chair in my room and the bed in the guest room.  A girl can dream, right?

Well, a friend of mine seems to have the same problem so she wanted me to help her organize it.  She LOVES clothes and SHOES.  I could totally shop in her closet if only her shoes were my size.  She wanted to warn me about her closet before I came over so I wouldn't run out the front door.  She text me one evening, "My closet is a sin."  I just giggled because I have the same problem.  I have boxes of folded clothes from floor to ceiling in one of my bedrooms because I have nowhere to put them.  But I think she was actually being serious which made me read that sentence again.  My closet is a sin.

She was actually confessing something that she felt was a sin in her life.  She realized that she had an awful lot of materialistic things.  But are there any of us without sin?  What about those sins or skeletons we keep hidden in our closet?  The ones that are a little easier to hide.  Jealousy?  Envy?  Bitterness?  Anger?  Rage?  Lies?  Hate?

It's easier to point out the obvious in other lives.  Addiction, to a certain extent.  Adultery.  Sex outside of marriage that results in a child.  You don't think I've heard the stories about me?  Guess again.  Gossip from those that have no room to gossip.  It's just that my sin was obvious to those around me.  Greed.  Murder.  A thief.  A felon.

What if someone were to come help you organize your closet?  The closet that knows every thing about you.  The closet that is always closed.  The one no one has access to but you and God.

Whew...It hit me like a ton of bricks.  We probably all have something we aren't proud of that we keep hidden.  We are embarrassed but scared that we will be judged.  Worried people would treat us differently.  Which is more than likely truth.  We think those around us are perfect and have no sins.  So we just keep pushing everything in our closet until one day...it all comes out.

Oh, how I wish we could live in a less judgmental world.  Where people didn't compare their sins.  

I challenge you.  I challenge myself.  To think before I judge someone.  To remember where I came from and what God delivered me from.  I am no better than you are.  You are no better than me.

Let's love a little more and judge a little less.

LESS in 2018







Comments