You Really Are Dirty


I feel as if God speaks to me many times when I'm cleaning my house or maintaining my yard.  Maybe it's because I am focused on the task at hand or maybe it's because my eyes are opened to things that I sometimes turn a blind eye to.

For example, my cabinets.  WHEW! I had no idea that I could stuff that much STUFF into a small space.  I have recently been cleaning out my house, which is not large, and the number bags I take outside to the garbage can blow my mind. There is absolutely no way that I filled TEN garbage bags full of empty lotion bottles and old make up.  But, I did! TEN.  And those ten bags were from items that were underneath my bathroom sink.  AMAZED but not in a good way.  

We can have everything presentable on the outside.  We can stuff things in and underneath places so that everything appears to be in order.  We do this time and time again.  We do it so often that we forget that we have placed these items there in the first place.  Did you know that you can store a LOT underneath your kitchen sink?  Protective goggles.  Vases from ALL of those flowers you have received over the years from secret admirers. Not really...but someone sent them to me.  Candles.  Half burned candles.  Brand new candles.  Sea shells.  Cleaning products.  Empty bottles. You name it...it was underneath my sink.  I cleaned it and I scrubbed it.  But the more I cleaned and the more I emptied out...I realized there may be some maintenance needed. I had stuffed so much underneath my sink over the years that I forgot about what it was hiding.  So, it may be cleaned and organized but it still needs attention.  It needs to be repaired and repaired correctly.

That's what so many of us do.  We hide things inside.  We pile so much on ourselves.  We bury it deep within us and forget years later.  We cover up our anger.  We look presentable on the outside but if someone were to do a "deep clean,"  they would walk away with garbage bags full of just that...garbage.  Bitterness.  Anger.  Hate.  Jealousy.  Hurt.  Heartache.  Fear.  Betrayal.  Grief.  Unforgiveness.  Rage.  I could go on and on.  We don't address the issue.  We paint over it.  We place it in a drawer and forget about it until many years later...something happens and all of those things we buried inside of us decide to come out.  It's ugly.  

After everything we have buried comes out, we find ourselves broken and in need of repair.  We hide so much that we don't realize we are in need of repair.  The heartache we ignore, doesn't need to go unnoticed.  It needs to be addressed so that it can be repaired.  It's not a quick fix.  It will require a deep clean to figure out exactly what has been hidden.  But underneath our exterior, we all have something hidden within us.  We all have broken pieces that God is wanting to fix.  But we have covered it up.  We have forgotten about it but it continues to affect us daily.  We don't realize it.  We don't know why we do certain things or act certain ways...but this is why.  

Deep issues hidden within our hearts.  Buried so that no one will ever know.  Emotions that we would rather not address but emotions we need to address so that we can be cleaned...from the inside out.

If you want to be healed... to be made whole... it's time to do a deep clean.  Get to the root of why you do certain things and act certain ways.

Allow God to do what only He can do.  From the inside out. We really are all dirty...God is the only one who can truly make us clean.  
   

Comments