Broken Yet Beautiful


I've never been a fan of flowers.  They die.  They don't last long.  I can't eat them so why give them to me?  I'd much rather a big box of chocolates over flowers or something that doesn't die.  I just don't understand why all these girls get so giddy over flowers.  Mind blown.    

That WAS me.  That's exactly how I felt about flowers until several months ago.  I now LOVE flowers.  They are a breath of fresh air.  They bring LIFE to any room.  They bring a smile to "most" faces.  I'm still not the best at keeping them alive but I am certainly trying a little harder.  My front porch is still adorned with fake ferns so it may take a little time for me.  

The other day, I was in a funk.  I HAD to get out of the house.  Grass will NEVER grow under my feet because I like to GO, GO, GO. So, GO we did.  My son and I took a little stroll downtown.  We had no agenda but to enjoy our day and that's exactly what we did.

We stopped in this one shop that had fresh flowers.  My face lit up just looking at the beautiful colors.  My son even enjoyed looking at them.  We held two up.  One bouquet was pretty.  It was much prettier and more colorful than the other one we were considering.  The flowers were in different containers.  The prettier flowers were placed in a clear jar and the other flowers that weren't as pretty and certainly not as colorful were in a cute pot.  We went with the cute pot and I'm so glad we did.

When we stepped up to check out, I heard a lady say, "Oh, I love the container those flowers are in."  I agreed and explained to her that we picked those flowers because of the cute pot.  The owner of the flower shop gave us a little back story about the pot.  A friend had given the pot to her because it had a small chip in it.  My smile got even bigger.  It was tossed aside.  Given away because it was broken.  The lady must have seen no use for it since it was broken.  

Broken.  Have you ever felt broken?  Tossed aside because you had a few flaws?  You had chips that were a result of LIFE.  Heartache.  Bad decisions.  Divorce.  Loss.  Death.  Addiction.  Chip after chip.  Broken inside and lifeless on the outside.

This pot is a lot like those of us that may feel broken and useless.  You see... I didn't know this pot was broken.  I didn't know it had a chip and I certainly had no idea how the pot got the chip.  I didn't care.  I saw the beautiful flowers that were placed inside.  I was drawn to God's creation.  I was mesmerized at the colors and life these flowers held.  I'm sure if I would have looked a little closer, I would have seen that the pot was broken but my focus was what had been placed inside of the broken pot.  

You, my friend, may have a few chips.  You may be broken but you are beautiful.  You are a life that matters to God and others.  Your beauty.  Your fight.  Your smile.  Your faith.  Your willingness to get back up.  That's what makes you beautiful to others.  

Don't ever let the opinion of others keep you from living life the way God intended you to live.  

You are broken YET beautiful... You can and will still be used to bring LIFE to others.  

So be proud of the chips that have made you the person you are today.   



Comments