Are You Seriously?

 


My favorite conversations typically take place in the car.  Where there is no technology.  There are no distractions for the most part.  It's actual dialogue.  I talk and someone else listens or vice versa.  

The other day my son and I sparked up a conversation that led to him asking me this question:

"Are you seriously comparing yourself to her?" 

I don't know how we got into the details of the conversation. I didn't think I was comparing myself.  I was actually bragging on this person.  But my son heard something else.

How often do we compare ourselves?  

On social media...

We compare our looks...
We compare our homes...
We compare our marriages...
We compare our kids...
We compare our vehicles...
We compare our talent...

But I want to take it a little deeper...

How often do we compare ourselves to a younger version of us?

I will see pictures and ask myself what happened to that girl?  What happened to her fire?  What happened to her drive?  What happened to her body?  What happened to her looks?  What happened to her life?

I am not that person anymore.  I have lived.  I have lived through a lot that could possibly break most.  

But I have learned.  I have grown wiser.  I have learned that it's not all about what size I wear or what I look like.  It's not the number of grey hairs on my head or the amount of wrinkles that I have around my eyes.  

We can get so caught up in comparison that we lose our focus.  We lose our purpose and our passion.

My wise son once told me when I asked myself, "Where did that girl go?"

"She's still there."

I am still here.
You are still here. 

So when you find yourself comparing... stop!

Comparison robs you of so much.

We were created to be unique.  You were created to be me... and I wasn't created to be you.



Comments