What is Love?

What is love?  It's a word that is loosely spoken today more than ever.  It's all over social media and I don't know if the ones using this word actually know the true meaning of love.  It's a word that I have been careful using my entire life.  It's not a word I tell everyone but if you have heard this word from me, then I thought carefully before letting it roll off my tongue. It's also a word I don't share often enough with those that I cherish the most.

I was reminded recently about the love a husband and wife share.  A doctor in a small rural town lost his wife a few years ago.  Her name is still on the sign outside his clinic.  He still wears his wedding band two years later.  His office is surrounded by pictures of his beloved bride.  He knows what true love is.  He has experienced what some never do...love.  Some spend their entire life looking for love..."Looking for Love in all the Wrong Places."

There are so many songs written about love because it is something everyone in life longs for.  "Love Can Build a Bridge,"  "It's Your Love," "I Want to Know What Love Is," "I'll Always Love You," just to name a few.  Then there is the song, "What's Love Got to do with It" and the answer is everything.  The greatest commandment that we were given is to "LOVE the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind."  There is an entire chapter in the Bible dedicated to love...it's quoted at weddings...it hangs on walls of homes...and it's a reminder when a husband or wife is sitting beside their loved one as they take their final breathe.  Love is the greatest gift of all.  It's not a word with little meaning...love is the greatest gift that you can share.  Always let those you deeply care for know that you love them.  Always be filled with love.  Without love, we are nothing. 

Comments