Know Payne, Know Gain

Know Payne - Know Gain

Growing up a Payne could either make you or break you. Imagine the names we were called as a child and even as an adult with the last name Payne! Laurie Payne in the neck. Laurie Payne in the butt. Laurie Payne in the (choice words). Laurie is a Payne. I could have let it bother me but I actually thought it was the best name ever. Payne! Laurie brings Payne is what I probably thought to myself since I was so big and bad. I'm sure as an athlete my brother Beck heard other sayings as well. Since my oldest brother was 10 years ahead of me, he probably called me a Payne in the neck. My parents probably told others that I was the biggest Payne!

However, growing up a Payne, I honestly didn't experience too much real pain. Certainly we had trials in our family and as we got older, we experienced more. Break-ups were ALWAYS devastating but I was over those in a day (or two). I lost my Mimi from cancer when I was young and that was tough but I was so young I didn't quite understand the true pain that death brought upon a family.

The earliest "pain" that I can remember was watching my brother Beck endure so much pain.  Knee surgery after knee surgery.  It wasn't the pain he endured from the aches in his knee that hurt me and my family though, it was the pain he emotionally endured. He was born to be star on the football field or any field. So we thought! He was a beast! But I soon learned the meaning of the verse, "He makes ALL things work for His good".  That became one of Beck's favorite verses.  Had Beck not been hurt, he may never be where he is today. Pain... Created Gain! It was hard to see at the time... But looking back... It is so clear!

I watched my brother endure pain... And I watch my oldest brother endure pain in his life but if you ask him now, I'm pretty sure he can see what he gained.

Little did I know, I later would walk through the darkest valley in my life. I wasn't prepared at all.  (I'm not referring to the passing of my dad.) I knew no pain.  I won't explain the heartache but I certainly learned that without pain... Without hardships... I wouldn't know just how much I needed God! If life was easy breezy, why would we need anyone for strength? We wouldn't know what it meant to trust in The Lord with ALL our heart!

We are quickly approaching the one year mark of losing our dad and I will say through this pain... I have gained! I've gained a deeper understanding about life... The brevity of life. How meaningful life is even at the age of 32... And at the age of 69. There is never a moment in our lives where life should be taken for granted.  When we are on the mountain top, we must learn that we still need God because at some point, we will be in the valley. We will endure pain that could cripple us for life if we allow it to do so. There are people I see daily that have endured so much pain and heartache.  I try to put myself in their shoes and really don't know if I could walk a day in them. Pain requires much strength.  Pain requires much trust.  Physical pain and emotional pain. Without pain, we don't know how strong we must be!

So if you truly know pain, you must learn how to gain something from your experience.

Are you ready should pain enter your life?  How strong are you? What have you done to prepare yourself for roadblocks that you will endure?

Know Payne... Know Gain!



Comments