But Mama I'm Scared

 
I have heard the words "Mama I'm scared" a few times from my little boy.  The other night my son, Kendall Beck, asked me to come outside with him because he was scared.  I don't hear anything else he said but "Mama will you come with me because I'm scared" stuck in my head.  It made me think how much my little boy trusted me.  Nothing can hurt him as long as he's by my side. 

Countless times I have thought how much kids think their parents are "super heroes".  Mom's kisses make EVERYTHING better.  Dads can beat up ANYONE.  Moms and dads can fix ANYTHING. In the eyes of a child.

When my son was less than a year old, I would frequently look back at him when he was in his car seat.  Completely relying on me for everything.  For me to keep him safe.  For me to remember to get him out of my truck.  He would sit patiently knowing I would come back for him.  For me to protect him at all times while he was strapped in his car seat.  For me to make good decisions on his behalf.  For me to be the best mother that I could be.

I'm the one my son looks to in the stands when he gets on base to make sure I saw his hit.  I'm the one he wants to watch him dance so he can see me smile and tell him how great he is.  I'm the one he wants to watch while he plays his video games or hula hoops.  He wants my eyes to be on him at all times giving him constant support.  Parents are the ones that kids go to for approval.  They come to us so that we can tell them how proud we are of them.  They know they can always come to us for praise.  When the world seems to beat them down...we are there to lift them up.  We are always their #1 fan.

I think about the kids who aren't as lucky to have parents by their side.  The kids who are left in their parents vehicles so they can get their fix.  Kids who are left alone all night so their parents can party.  Kids who have to go without food so their parents can make sure their addiction is fed.  Kids who are left period, with no parents, from birth.  The importance of a parent...I don't even know if we realize the title we hold as mom or dad.  

I look at my little boy and it's as if I can see his soul through his big brown eyes.  I can see that he truly doesn't understand how evil people can be.  Life is nothing but good in his eyes and it breaks my heart that one day...his eyes will be opened to the real world.  And though there are cruel people in this world...I pray those sweet eyes still see the good he sees today.  Because tonight, I saw good.  I saw a community come together to support a little boy (Steele Becton) who has been diagnosed with SMA.  I saw a mother and father (Beau and Lindsey) protect and fight for their son to have the best life possible and it made my heart happy.  I saw support from people who didn't even know this family...and I saw a beautiful little boy who could look at his parents and know he didn't ever have to be scared because they would always be right there with him...as I will always be right there with my baby boy. 

 

Comments