Looking Back

I recently went to West Monroe High School to run at the track and the memories hit me as soon as I walked through the gates.  Some of my best years were at West Monroe High School cheering and running track.  It didn't hurt that we broke every record there was during my high school years or that we were back to back state champs.  I was truly proud to be a Rebel!

I started thinking back to the years my dad coached at West Monroe.  Our city was truly proud of the West Monroe Rebels which eventually led to the saying "Western Pride" .  I wasn't around when my dad coached but I pictured him on the sidelines doing what he loved...then I remembered all the things I loved about West Monroe High School.  I LOVED running track.  I didn't and still don't like to run long distances but I did and still do enjoy sprinting.  As I walked around the curve of the track I remembered how I enjoyed running the 200 yard dash.  I loved hugging the curve, leaning in and then seeing the stretch ahead of me with the finish line in sight.  I felt free.  My dad always told me to picture myself running through the ribbon first and that's what I did.  I would see me ahead of all the runners and breaking through the ribbon taking home the 1st place trophy.  I think sometimes my mind was WAY ahead of my little legs.   

I wanted to get in my starting position, get set in the blocks, touch my fingers to the track and feel the anticipation of the gun going off as my heart felt like it was about to beat out of my chest. (but I didn't want my friend to think I had lost all my marbles)  The adrenaline rush.  The feeling of accomplishment after crossing the finish line.  The sound of the crowd yelling your name.  Memories I'll never forget.

Friday nights were the best.  We were family.  From the "BS" section - to the Mascot.  There were no groups - only Rebels.  We all wanted one thing -- to WIN! And that we did.

I would love to revisit a Friday night at West Monroe High School stadium but knowing what I know now.  I didn't realize what was before me.  I didn't cherish the moments quite like I should have and before I realized what I had, it became a memory of the past.  The excitement in the air is still felt when I hear the fans  clap -- and the band play "Dixie".  I can remember every cheer -- every chant -- every dance.  It's forever a part of who I am.

I thank God for memories.  Good memories.  Good times.  Let's not lose focus on what is before us right now because soon it will be a memory of the past.  Enjoy time with your friends.  Cherish moments with your kids -- from changing diapers -- to teaching them how to drive -- to watching them raise a child.  Soak in the moment. 

It's good to revisit old times but don't stay lost in the past.  If you stay in the past, you'll never move forward.  You'll never enjoy the blessings before you and you'll always talk about the good ole' days rather than the present day. 

     

Comments