The Wonder Pets Said It Best


It is truly more blessed to give than receive.  Sometimes we don't have much to give...but we can always lend a hand.  We can always serve in some form or fashion. 

Wow...Today (Wednesday, October 15, 2014) was truly an amazing day.  There is devastation all around our surrounding area in West Monroe, LA.  I got to experience first hand, our community coming together to help others.  I truly was blown away and brought to tears.  (which doesn't take much these days)

I honestly can not imagine what I would have done had I walked out of my home this past Monday after the storm...to see trees across my home...or coming through my roof...limbs all over my yard...windows broken...my vehicle destroyed... I know that I would have been overwhelmed.  I would have been devastated.  I would have been upset.  One of my first thoughts would have been who in the world is going to help me clean all of this.  I would not have been able to do it alone, that's for sure.

As the Serve team of Family Church was cleaning a home today, someone noticed some large limbs on a roof across the street.  I believe the leader of the serve team went to speak to the elderly lady that lived in the home.  I don't know the conversation that took place but I assume he asked if she would mind if we removed the limbs from her roof and cleaned her yard.  I was sitting in my car at the time this was taking place and noticed the elderly lady leaning against her car.  One of the serve team members walked over to her and hugged her.  The lady was brought to tears because of a random act of kindness.  I wanted to get out of my truck and go hug her but tears were pouring down my face.  She was so grateful.  After I pulled myself together, I went over to the elderly lady and talked to her for awhile. She said that God sent us there to help her. She was a widow.  She had no family here and the family she does have lives hours away.  She also told me that she was part of a local church.  She said that she loved her church and that her church loved her BUT...BUT...not one single person had reached out to her.  Not one phone call had been made to check on this sweet elderly lady.  Not one.  That still brings me to tears because that is what we are called to do as a church.  Why hasn't anyone reached out to this elderly lady to see if she needed any help?  We were at the right place...at the right time.  She told me that God truly watches out for HIS people.   

I am beyond blessed that I was able to work alongside some phenomenal people today as we helped random people across the community.  We worked as a TEAM.  It took a team to remove these large trees that had destroyed homes and lives.  But our TEAM brought HOPE to those who perhaps had lost theirs.  I have seen young children, I have seen women, I have seen so many offer their services to help those in need.  I have seen churches, schools, and countless other organizations unite to help everyone. 

It takes a TEAM to get through life.  It's never easy alone and it's always better with someone by your side. 

So what's going to work? TEAMWORK!!

A huge THANK YOU to all of those who have made this past week (and the coming days) successful.  This community has definitely united as a TEAM to serve others.

Comments