World's Greatest Grandpa

I know most of you probably think the title is about my dad... While I truly believe he was the world's best Grandpa... This is about a patient I met last week.

My co-worker and I were headed to see an elderly man for a home health visit.  When this elderly man opened his door, I had to immediately fight back tears.   I had to fight them back the entire time we were at his house.  Let me rewind and paint you a picture why.

My dad's last Christmas was in 2012, when he received a t-shirt from my brother Beck that read "World's Best Grandpa."  We all started to laugh because we knew my dad would proudly sport that shirt... And that's what he did.  He did not hesitate for one minute.  He immediately put the shirt on and wore it with pride.  I would venture to say that my dad considered being a Granddad as his greatest achievement.  And my dad had some pretty outstanding achievements.  But this one, superseded them all.  It mattered more than anything in the world.  So even though we laughed at the t-shirt... We knew it was 100% true! There was no greater Grandpa.

Fast forward back to our patient opening the door this past week.  When my eyes caught a glimpse of his shirt... My mind took me back to my dad's last Christmas.  This man was wearing a World's Best Grandpa shirt.  And he wore it with pride.

He was a joy to be around.  He could barely hear and his eyes were giving out on him but he was precious.

He had given up caring about what people thought about him.  Perhaps it never mattered.  He certainly must have put forth effort to receive a t-shirt stating he was the best.  But what I loved was the pride he carried while wearing his shirt!

Are your actions you present daily good enough to earn you a shirt at some point in your life?  To be the best mom? Dad? Grandpa?  What about coach? Or teacher?  Or even friend?

Each and every day we are to give it our best.  We are to be the best.  Do you present yourself as the best in everything that you do?  You don't literally have to be "the best" but just your best!

I start each day trying to be a better me... To be the best I can be... And just maybe by doing that... I'll earn me a shirt that says "the best" some day.

You know the saying, "Been there, done that, got the t-shirt?"  What would your shirt say ? What do you want it to say? What would others say? Make the effort to be the best!

Comments