He Thinks It Is Just A Walk

It's Just a Walk

About a week ago I asked my son if he wanted to go walking. I needed the exercise and well, he just isn't old enough to stay home alone. So off we went. He was full of energy. He had a smile on his face and a pep in his step. My plan wasn't just for exercise though.  It wasn't just a walk. I wanted to spend time with my son. I wanted time away from electronic devices. I wanted him away from his toys and no distractions that surround a messy home. I wanted one on one time with my baby boy that is growing up before my eyes. 

I watched him as time stood still.  I watched him laugh. Watched his carefree spirit enjoy the outdoors as a little boy would. Kicking rocks. Jumping in mud puddles. Piggy back rides. Making wishes when blowing dandelions.  Moments that mattered. Smiles and laughter that money could not buy.  Most of my childhood memories have nothing to do with toys or anything of monetary value. My ️memories consist of valuable time with those I love. Talks. Family time. Holidays. Dinners at the table which very seldom happens in homes anymore. Time spent outdoors with Mother Nature.  The good stuff.

Life is speeding up it seems. The older I get, the faster the days go by. I wish there was a pause button. There are moments I want to last.  There are moments I would like to fast forward. There are moments I want to rewind. And there are moments I would just like to erase. But the moments spent with my little boy are those I want to seize. I want to stay in some moments for days. They pass too quickly. And our walk was a moment I wanted to last a lot longer than it did. I was focused. I was focused on his innocence. His "boy nature" that wanted to jump in every single water hole.  Pick up every rock. Throw every rock. The little boy who was so confident that he could jump a ditch filled to the max with dirty water. It was as if I was recording it all in my mind so I could later go back to watch. I didn't want to miss one single moment.  

Our walk didn't last as long as I wanted it to that evening. But it was priceless time spent wisely. I wish we would all see the brevity of life. We are all guilty of taking time for granted. We spend it foolishly.  We waste it.  

Live in the moment. Embrace those you love. Make moments matter. Take walks.  Long, long walks.  You will not regret one single step. 

And he thought we were just walking...

Comments