From The Eyes Of Kendall

Oh, if only I could shrink myself so that I could crawl inside my seven year olds head.  To be able to see through his eyes and know his thoughts.  To hear what he hears.  To look around our world and understand the thoughts that go through his mind that never make it out of his little mouth.

Out of the mouths of babes.  Come some of the greatest words.  Some very insightful, deep thoughts.  Such as the following.  My son and I were watching the final game of the women's World Cup.  After the final whistle blew, the crowd went wild.  The players were moved to tears.  Some were speechless but some shared their feelings.  As one of the players was being interviewed, the most thought provoking words came from my son's mouth.  He looked at me and said, "She's famouser than you...but she probably doesn't have a pig."  I mean, where in the world did that come from?  Was he trying to make me feel better after he realized what he said about  her being more well-known?  I just looked at him.  I had no words.  I looked at his innocent little face and laughed.  I can only assume he knows that it is not normal to have a large pot-belly pig living inside your home.

So of course, a light bulb went off and I thought this would be a great topic for my blog.  What am I teaching my son?  I don't literally mean the fact he mentioned us having a pig.  Kids pay attention to details.  They see things as they actually are.  The player being interviewed was of course "famouser" than I may ever be. (A girl can always dream.)  And more than likely, she did not have a pot-belly pig living inside her house.  He was telling it as it was.  Truth. 

What are the little eyes around you learning?  I am by no means a perfect mother but when my child says something that may not be significant to most, it makes me take a step back.  I take a look at my life and evaluate how I live.  The words I say.  I look at the things I teach him.  Are they acceptable or not?  My little boy has watched me make some very bad decisions that he may remember or he may not.  But over the past two years, I have learned to make better decisions.  I have learned to seek Godly counsel when it comes to making major decisions in my life because I know I am laying a foundation for my son. 

As silly as his statement was about the player not having a pig, it opened my eyes.  It's fun living a life that isn't normal to most because it makes memories that will be told years down the road.  It's exciting because you never know what will happen next.  But will your "not so normal" life cause your child to choose different words next time he or she speaks? 

Pay close attention to the words that come from your child's little mouth.  They can open your eyes to a completely different world.  Things you may not see.  Things you may not want to see.

But always remember, there is someone "famouser" than you.





Comments