Is 70 Old Or Young?

70 years old or young 


"I knew what it was but they didn't bother me. But to hear the word cancer come out of his mouth was difficult.  He told me after they cut on me a little more, I would be cancer free.  But you know once they begin to cut, it seems to appear everywhere. I am 70 years old or young, however you want to look at it. I have no one here and my son lives away. You can just throw me in a hole." These words brought me to tears as a listened to a young man, in my opinion, utter them.  He was referring to a few spots on his skin that were confirmed cancerous.  Basically, he was saying it didn't matter if the cancer killed him or not. It crushed my spirit.  Anytime I hear the word cancer, it does something inside of me. I'm sure most of you feel the same if cancer has taken someone you love. 

My dad never made it to celebrate his 70th birthday. To me, 70 is young. Too young to give up on life or feel as if you have no purpose. It doesn't matter how young or how old you are, you can make a difference in lives around you. If we live life with purpose, if we live life doing things that matter for eternity, we are needed. This man shared a story of a lady that lived a longer life because of him. He made a difference in her life and I am sure her family members are forever grateful for him. So why is he ready to just throw his hands up as if his life doesn't matter? 

Why do so many feel as if their lives don't matter? Each day we have breath in us, we have purpose. We can choose to live or we can choose to die. Some go their entire life with no purpose and just give up. Some spend their earlier years with purpose and then die long before they are ever buried because they lacked purpose. They gave up early and basically they were or are living to die. 

Life is tough. Life is hard. Life can hurt. Life can sting. Life can literally suck the life out of us. But, BUT, life is good. Life is what we make of it, the good, the bad and the ugly.  A simple smile can change someones entire day. A quick hello, how are you doing, can put a pep in ones step. Why, oh why do so many take life for granted? At 7 or 70, each day is a blessing. My 7 year old may not realize the impact he has on so many around him at such a young age. Young kids bring laughter where there may be none. They bring a new outlook on life when we feel as if the world has completely gone mad. 

The older generation reminds us about the good ole' days. When life existed outside of social media and technology. When people actually communicated face to face rather than by text or e-mail. (I am so guilty of this one) When people sat on their front porch and waved at everyone who drove by.  The days when every meal happened around the dinner table.  We learn from the older generation that life will pass before our very eyes. We learn the brevity of life.  

I pray, when and if I reach the age of 70, I won't ever say the words I heard this man speak. I want to live and I want to live life to the fullest each day I am blessed to see the light of day. Let's not wish our life away.  No matter your age, you can make a difference in those around you. Don't quit living... start living! 

Comments