I Knew It Was Coming

I Even Saw It Coming 

A lot of life lessons are learned in the car.  You can learn from the radio. You can learn how to be cautious because of others driving. You can learn patience or lack of in some situations.  You can learn new songs or even a new language. But what can you learn from your rear view mirror?

Several days ago I was rear-ended by a young teenage girl on her cell phone. NOT a happy camper but thankful I am okay. But the few minutes prior to her knocking me into tomorrow, I happen to look in my rear view mirror.  I'm not sure why I looked back. Perhaps I looked back because I have a fear of being rear ended and now I know why.  As I looked in my rear view mirror, I saw a silver car coming rather quickly.  I hesitated a moment because I thought that she would surely slow down. A second later, I realized that she was not going to stop. I was behind a car in front that was at a stand still so I tried my best to get out of the way but didn't quite make it.  She clipped the back of my truck (or nailed it) and lifted it up off the ground.  I knew it was coming but I was still startled that she hit me.  I was in shock that I was involved in a wreck.  Was I okay?  I knew danger was a possibility.  I knew I could be injured. I knew there could be a way out.  But I didn't escape.  I do believe that had I not been looking back, it would have been much worse. She never slowed down.  She never hit her brakes.  She never saw it coming.  But I was aware of my surroundings.  I looked back because I wanted to know what or if anything was coming towards me.  I was prepared for impact. But she was not.

What if we had a rear view mirror that we could look in each day to see what was headed our way? To see what danger may be approaching us.  To be prepared for the tragedies we will face in life.  Or maybe we could look for a way out like I attempted to do.  If we look around us, perhaps we may see something that others don't.  The young teenage girl was not focused.  She was on her phone engaged in "the right now."  She was not thinking about anything else but the moment before her.  Distracted by the things of this world and BAM! A little wake up call.  

Don't get so caught up in the "now" that you lose your focus. Pay attention to what is before you but don't neglect your "rear view."  





Comments