I'm a Quitter



Maybe that got your attention. No one likes to be known as a quitter. I know I certainly don't. I would love for people to describe me as a go getter instead of a quitter. But for most of my life...I have been a quitter.  

Dance = quit. Cheerleading = quit. Piano = quit. Pageants = quit. Working out = quit.  There have even been times I have wanted to quit life.  Those are not good equations and definitely not the outcome I wanted for any of them. To be honest, I don't have a good excuse for quitting any of the above mentioned except for cheerleading. I moved schools my junior year so I quit what I absolutely loved and still miss it to this day.  I know some of my fellow cheerleaders would be cheering right alongside me if we could get paid to cheer. And FYI... the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders are not cheerleaders so don't mention them.  

So why do we quit?  Why do we quit doing things we love?  I can't go back and cheer. I can't go back to dance.  I can't go back to my pageant days but I can still ask myself why.  Why did I quit?  Why did you quit some of the very things that brought you so much joy? My drive isn't what it once was but boy oh boy do I want it to be.  I want to live life with such a passion that people want what I have.  To inspire others when they want to give up.  To encourage others when they want to begin again.  What does it take to get our ambition back?  What holds us back?  Do we perhaps feel as if we are "too old" to begin again? Do we feel as if it's too late to dream again? 

Neil Armstrong was 38 when he stepped foot on the moon.  Which means we can shoot for the stars, literally. At age 46, Jack Nicklaus won the Masters. At age 62, J.R.R. Tolkien published his first volume of the series Lord of the Rings. At 71 years young, Katsusuke Yanagisawa climbed Mt Everest.  I'm pretty sure that at the age of 34, I couldn't climb a mile up Mt. Everest.  But all of the above (per Google) had a desire to go above and beyond the unimaginable.  I'm sure they were ridiculed prior to reaching their goal.  Could you imagine your friend telling you that they were going to walk on the moon? Even today, it would blow my mind.  I would laugh at anyone regardless of their age if they told me they were going to climb Everest.  I mean who in the world would create such "impossible" goals?  Especially in their later years.  

So what is it that you want to achieve?  What is it that seems impossible in your life?  What is holding you back?  What will it take for you to make that first gigantic leap or maybe even a small step of faith? Get a pen and piece of paper out and write down your dreams.  From the smallest to the nearly impossible.  Underneath those dreams and goals, list a few steps that you have to cross out that will get you closer to those dreams becoming reality.  Quitting is not an option at this point.  Be a go getter.  Now is the best time.  Not tomorrow but today!!! Don't be a quitter! 

Comments