Forgotten and Abandoned

Abandoned. Forgotten. Neglected. Old. Rotten.  Boarded. Overgrown by weeds.  Ruined. Forbidden.  Ugly.  Creepy. Haunted. Unattractive.  I'm sure these words cross the minds of many when passing an old, abandoned house.  I'm sure I thought that when I was younger but as I get older, I see much more. I see beauty.  I see walls that hold so many memories. Perhaps those memories are good or maybe they hold secrets that no one ever told. 

There is something that grips me when I pass an old abandoned building.  I want to walk through the doors that once opened to newly weds and see the remains of what life brought them many years ago.  Rooms that were once filled with laughter and tears.  A living room that was occupied during Thanksgiving and Christmas.  I want to walk around in the backyard and imagine kids running around kicking a ball as they giggled and enjoyed their innocent ways.  It saddens me when I see homes left to be demolished and boarded up.  A house that was once a home to one or many, left to be destroyed as if nothing ever took place there.  

I've only had one childhood home and it still stands today but the memories that house holds are priceless. I have had the opportunity to walk through my Mimi's house recently that held so many memories from my childhood.  They were good memories and when I walked through the door, my emotions ran wild.  When I was a little girl, that was the biggest house.  But as an adult, it is so very small.  But I remember it exactly how it was 20 plus years ago.  I can remember everyone sitting at the table and my Mimi in her chair. I could hear the laughter explode from stories told. It was so peaceful and I am so grateful I was able to walk through those doors again. 

Life has a way of getting more complicated as we grow older.  Abandoned houses remind me of simplicity.  Days when technology didn't exist.  Kids played outside and adults interacted with each other.  It wasn't uncommon for a friend to drop in for some tea or coffee.  You had no idea if they would be home or not because cellphones did not exist and Facebook wasn't around so you did not know everyone's every move.  I can see through the windows and imagine a family sitting around the dinner table enjoying each other's company. The good old days ... lost in that old, abandoned house that was once a home. 

What ️memories will your house hold? Years from now will those walls hold stories that made someone's childhood the best ever or ones they would rather forget?  Let's make our house a home and make memories that will last a lifetime even when our homes are long gone. 

Comments