Picture Perfect

Picture Perfect

This time of year, we all get those pretty Christmas cards in the mail. Some of us may get a little more than others but they usually all have one common theme, family pictures. Everyone in their matching clothes. Big smiles. Basically the "perfect family picture" because no one would send out anything less than picture perfect.  Frame worthy. Facebook worthy. Happy wife. Happy husband. Happy kids.  There may even be happy pets included.  It is one of the many aspects of Christmas that I enjoy. I love seeing everyone's Christmas cards.  I love seeing how everyone changes each and every year.  I have kept every Christmas card that I have sent out since my little boys first Christmas.  It's bittersweet as I reflect on each Christmas season every year. But they always make me smile.  

Have you ever thought about the stories behind all those "picture perfect" Christmas cards?  I really didn't until this past Thanksgiving break.  What people see versus reality.  Most of us don't form relationships deeper than surface level. We very rarely get to know ones heart. We know what they want us to know or what we only seek to know.  We may think we know someone but haven't a clue as to what makes them tick.  Have you noticed it is sometimes easier to be kinder to a stranger rather than someone you love. We thank a stranger who opens the door.  Or apologize when we accidentally bump into someone. We forgive those we barely know quicker than those we think we know.  We are ready to move mountains for random people rather than those closest to us.  We can encourage folks on the other side of the world rather than those in our own homes.  Why is that?  Is it because we know them or is it that we may actually not know them? 

If we could see the addiction or insecurity the husband battles daily in the Christmas card.  If we could see the anxiety or depression the wife constantly fights.  If we could see the behavior issues the children have.  If we knew more of their story and understood their heart.  If we could see past what seems to be "picture perfect" then maybe we could all be more compassionate.  We could be more of an encourager if we knew what struggles each family face every day.  But we don't see that because very seldom do we allow others to know the good, the bad and the ugly.  We show them the "picture perfect" life which could lead to discouragement for those who don't have it all together.  

I'm one of those who doesn't have it all together and I see far too often the "picture perfect" families.  Perhaps if I knew more of their story, I could have a little more faith.  Maybe I wouldn't be so hard on myself if I knew the struggles of the mom who seems like she came straight out of a parenting magazine.  Maybe I would cut my child some slack in certain areas if I knew other children struggled with the same things my child struggles with.  

I know we would all be more compassionate if we saw the real pictures versus the Christmas card pictures.  We would treat each other with a little more grace.  Our words would be different towards others.  We could cut ourselves some slack after realizing that others have their issues too. 

Take a deeper look at this years Christmas cards.  Maybe you know more than others but I challenge you to get to know someone deeper than a surface level. Seek their heart.  Know what hurts them.  Know what helps them.  Know their struggles.  Know their past but don't hold it against them.  But at the same time, be more transparent with your life.  You just may be a testimony someone is desperate for during this Christmas season. 

Comments