Be Like Marge

I'm sure most of you have seen the "Be like Emma" pictures all over social media. Emma doesn't do this. Emma does this. Emma is smart.  Be like Emma. 

Well, it got me to thinking about a certain lady I met recently.  I play bingo with a group of elders several times throughout each month.  It truly is my favorite part of my job. I absolutely love old folks!  They aren't fake.  They tell you like it is.  They aren't competing against you or anyone else, except to win Bingo.  That's serious business.  They help each other. They are so encouraging when you are around them.   But this one lady that I play with each month reminded me of Emma.

You see, this lady (Marge) is something else.  I will change her name "to protect the innocent."   She had a stroke several years ago, probably around the age of 50.  That is very young in my eyes.  Marge had brain damage and loss use of the right side of her body.  She has to write out what she is trying to say.  When we play bingo, I have to show her the actual number so that she can find it on her card.  It's like a game of Charades when I see Marge.  Guess what she's trying to tell you...except I'm not the best at that game.  But she sits as close to me as she can so that she can be as independent as possible.  She doesn't want to burden anyone.  Marge is always dressed to impress. Her hair is fixed and her make-up is without flaw.  Always has her perfume on and looking and smelling good.  She is a ray of sunshine.  She laughs, a lot.  She smiles.  She helps others when she should be the one getting help herself.  She is grateful and never complains.  Marge is kind.  Marge is thankful.  Marge is happy. Marge is smart. Why can't we all be more like Marge than Enma?  

Marge has every reason to sit in her room and have a pity party for one.  She could complain if she felt like it.  She could care less how she dresses but she chooses to show up in her best.  She could make others feel like she deserves a little more grace than everyone else but she chooses not to.  She makes the most of life.  She made lemonade when life handed her lemons.  It didn't make her sour.  Marge has weaknesses.  Marge isn't perfect.  But Marge embraces what she has and does not dwell on her imperfections.  So while Emma is floating around social media, let's not forget Marge.  Let's be like Marge.

Comments