She Said What?


Some of you may be thinking that you are about to read some good, juicy gossip about something someone said about me.  But, you're not.  Though I could write a great "In Touch" magazine filled with some humorous articles about the gossip that has circulated in a small town such as West Monroe.  But this is actually about other people.  Such as stories I hear about OTHER women in our town.  No, I'm not about to dish out other's dirty laundry, so don't get all excited.  It's the "small talk" that actually makes me smile.  Did you know that it is actually possible to speak good about others?  It is and I love when I hear other's building up one another.

The past couple of weeks, I have had 3 situations where other women have discussed other women with me.  They were not spewing out gossip or "can you believe this" or "did you hear about so and so" but speaking positive words over other women.  Yes, it does happen. 

On one occasion, I was having lunch with a dear friend and she mentioned my friend, Amy (changed the name).  She said that something is different about her.  My first thought was negative.  I thought she was about to say something bad and it was going to hurt me because Amy is a very good friend of mine.  But what I heard was total opposite.  She said something was different about her, different in a good way.  She was complimenting her to me so I was able to go back to my friend "Amy" with words of encouragement.  I was able to tell her that others notice the change in her and it's a good change.  It's always a blessing when you are able to tell someone the "good gossip" you hear about them.  In a world that has so much negative spoken about others, rumors, etc., it's nice to see there are people who can compliment each other. We aren't in a competition with other women.  So let's not make it a competition.

Another instance, Amy (yes, the same Amy) had messaged me about a mom in our Moms Matter group (a single mom's ministry in West Monroe, LA). She simply wanted to let me know that she was so excited that (Heather-name changed) was a part of our group because she was great.  No story to back it up.  Nothing more and nothing less.  Just three positive, uplifting words about another woman, "she is great."  Empowering one another.  Speaking good things about others. 

The last story I want to share happened one week-end as a friend and I were sitting on the couch browsing Facebook.  A site that can be so negative.  A site filled with so much drama and senseless talk.  But this wasn't the case on this particular night.  A picture of a mutual friend (Ashley-name changed) popped up on my friend's newsfeed so she asked me if I had seen her lately.  I told her that I talked to her every now and then  but hadn't seen her recently.  She simply said that she was a very pretty young lady.  I agreed and smiled.  I don't hear that often around women and we should.  Why is it so easy to speak unkind words about someone's else and think it is okay?  Why do some think it's okay to spread rumors about others and think it is okay?  Why can't we as women speak good about others?  It is possible and I notice the more you surround yourself with confident women, the more good you hear them speak about others.

We can all get caught up in gossip but we can also stop the gossip before it get's too far.  Regardless of what you think you may know, keep your mouth closed.  Let's be a queen girl instead of a mean girl.  Let's straighten our crowns and act as if we are a princess and speak like one. 

Pay close attention to your core group of friends and family.  Watch their words.  Watch the words of those you surround yourself with and ask yourself if their words add anything to your life or the lives of others.  You will be amazed at how your life will change once you get the toxic talk out of it.  That goes for others as well as yourself.  Let's be intentional with our words and find the good in others.  So next time you hear the words, "She said what," you won't be disgusted but encouraged.   
 

Comments