Better Together


I had intended to post last week before the flood hit Northeast Louisiana and surrounding areas.  The title was going to be, "You Are Where?"  I was going to share more from my heart but come to find out, I learned something more about the topic I was going to write about.  I felt it necessary to wait until this week after I was able to learn a thing or two about what I witnessed.  Hopefully I will be able to relate this past week to what I had originally planned to post. 

This past week, I witnessed everyone from ever religion, every social status, every color, male and female, young and old, come together as one.  I am a people watcher and honestly, I just wanted to sit back and soak it all in.  I wanted to watch the act of love at work.  Social media was booming with random acts of kindness.  With volunteers seeking to serve anywhere and everywhere.  It was truly something I had never seen before first hand on this grand of scale.  I had witnessed it on the news but never in my home town. 

Several verses came to mind as I watched everything unfold:

1.  Matthew 4:19 -20  Come follow me, Jesus said, and I will send you out to fish for people.  At once, they left their nets and followed him. 

I saw so much of this over the past week. Everyone putting everything else aside to help others.  At once, disciples were out helping others.  Just as we are called to do.  I saw rescue boats literally "fishing for people."  I witnessed volunteers who took vacation time to serve those that had been displaced.  I watched kids who had the chance to relax and enjoy their time from school, shoveling sand.  I saw toddlers with their parents.  Learning.  Watching what it means to sacrifice of their time and help others. 

2.  Hebrews 13:2  Do not forget to show hospitality to strangers, for by so doing some people have shown hospitality to angels without knowing it. 

There was absolutely no judging going on this past week.  I saw everyone helping everyone.  Neighborhoods that had nothing.  Neighborhoods that lacked nothing.  But both had volunteers.  Who knows what "angels may have been entertained." 

3.  Matthew 7:7  Ask and it will be given to you. 

Now, I may take some of these out of context but this past week, if someone asked for something, within minutes, help was offered.  They had no pride.  They needed help so they asked for help and it was given. 

4.  Nothing was expected in return.  There was no money being exchanged.  Nothing traded.  Just genuine people offering to help.  They were giving of their time.  Some went with no sleep or very little sleep for days.

The second of the greatest commandments is found in Mark 12:31 Love your neighbor as yourself. 

I believe we all witnessed what we would want for ourselves if we were in the middle of devastation.  Don't you?  Matthew 7:12 says, So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you.  I know I would appreciate any help offered so why not offer my time or help when and where I can.

5.  Who is the most important?  Who is a servant? There were Hollywood stars serving and there were inmates serving.  Everyone was working towards one purpose and that was and is restoring our hometown.  Matthew 19:30 But many who are first will be last, and many who are last will be first. 

6.  Ecclesiastes 4:9-12  Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their labor (HELLO).  If either of them falls down, one can help the other up.  But pity anyone who falls and has no one to help them up.  Also, if two lie together, the will keep warm.  But how can one keep warm alone? 

There is no explanation needed here.  Two are better than one.  Three are better than two. 

7.  Matthew 9:37-38  Then He said to His disciples, the harvest is plentiful but the workers are few.  Ask the Lord of the harvest, therefore, to send out workers into His harvest field.

I know this is talking about the kingdom of God but one thing that we did not lack this past week was workers.  We had so many willing even if they weren't able to physically do anything, they offered to do what they could.  Let's not stop working and serving after this is all said and done. 

8.  Matthew 6:4  But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret.  Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

I know there were so many helping that never made one single post on social media.  They weren't serving to seek any form of praise.  I know one person (and I know there are many more) that has gone above and beyond but has remained behind the scenes.  No one will ever know the seeds that were planted this week during the flood of 2016 but I'd be willing to bet God's kingdom grew because of people like you.

Do not grow weary in doing good.  Do not let anyone do life alone.  After the water is dry.  After the homes are restored.  Let's continue to do life together.  We truly are better together.  No one wants to do life alone.  When one walks through the valleys of life, don't let them walk alone.  Always be willing to serve even when not asked.  I'm sure those serving this week were blessed more than those they served. 

It's amazing what the body of Christ can do.  Thank you Northeast Louisiana for stepping up.  Thank you for putting us on the map as a community that is better together. 

Comments