Hugged by God

A Physical Hug from
I walk around my neighborhood as often as permitted. It's relaxing. Refreshing. Not to mention, needed. I look at the houses. Some are nicer than others. Some are larger than others.  Some yards need to be bush hogged - and I don't live in the country. I see cats - hundreds of them. I get to see the sun reflect off the little pond nearby. I remodel a lot of them as I walk by - anyone else do this? I hear the birds chirping. I see beautiful butterflies cross in front of me. The sound of lawnmowers lets me know that the rain has stopped and the sun is beaming down. I hear planes as they jet across the sky. I see American flags blow in the wind and I'm reminded the freedom we have - at this time at least - in our country. I see an old man sitting in his swing on his front porch watching and waving as vehicles or walkers, like me, pass. 

Then there are the things I smell. I smell the fresh honeysuckle as I make my way around a curved road.  I smell the fresh cut grass.  If the wind is just right, I smell the lovely papermill.  I smell the outdoors.  You know that smell.  Boys bring it in after they've been outside all day?  It's the smell of enjoyment. Enjoying what only Mother Nature has to offer. 

Then there are the things I feel. I feel the fresh air as it blows my hair.  I feel the heat of the sun that has been hidden for weeks.  I feel the pain from walking up and down the hills.  I feel the tightness in my chest as I try to breathe normally and not sound like a dying dog.  I feel accomplished as I turn into my driveway after a two mile run, or maybe brisk walk. 

But one thing I have never felt was a physical touch from God.  That was until I saw this little boy far down the road. He was walking beside his bike - barefoot and muddy. I would say he was around 4 or 5.  As I got closer, he said hey. I replied with a hey as well. We talked for a minute because I wanted to make sure he was okay and not lost. No one was with him. He was the cutest little boy but I couldn't stay and chat. I had calories to burn. But as I walked off, after a few steps, I heard the sweetest voice again. "Hey!" I turned around and said "hey buddy." Then, that's when he or should I say God spoke and said, "I want to give you a hug." What?? So I turned around and said I want to give you a hug, too. That's when I felt the arms of God embrace me. Have you ever felt God physically hug you? Wow! What a moment. A complete stranger. An innocent child. A child that maybe heard the voice of God himself as he nudged him to give this strange woman a hug. 

When do we lose that as human beings?  The innocence. The boldness of speaking to and greeting complete strangers with a hello? And not just a hello, a sincere hello, how are you doing?  This little boy was refreshing to my soul. He reminded me of the sweet spirit we should all carry.  How often do we miss God speak to us?  Are we too busy with life that we miss these God ordained moments?  Has God ever spoken to you? Better yet, has God even embraced you, literally?  Perhaps we are looking too hard when He's right there all along.  Maybe you have asked God lately, "Where are you God?"  Why don't you listen to me Lord?  Can you not hear me when I call out unto you?  As God replies, "I've been here the entire time, you were just consumed with yourself as you walked by the wild flowers that were blooming after the flood or as you tucked your little miracle into bed last night." You ask, and He gives. All the time. 

For me, it was a muddy, barefoot 4 or 5 year old.  Only this day, I wasn't occupied with my life. I was enjoying the absolute beauty of God's creation and for once, I felt the hands of God as they wrapped themselves around me.  

Several days had passed since I got this God sent hug, when I saw this little boy riding his bike again. Still barefoot and muddy. I saw God again that day. 

Comments