Who I Am

Do you ever wonder what others think of you? I'm not referring to our high school days when we "worried" about what others thought of us.  If we were in the "popular" crowd or if we wore acceptable name brand clothes. But what do others truly think about you when they see you or hear your name.

I have done this "experiment" several times on social media because I have this perception about what others may think. I think that most see a "single mom."  I tend to think others see the negative in my life before the positive but that is not the case.

My dad always spoke life over me and always built me up. I was beautiful. I was a princess. I was Miss Louisiana and sometimes I was Miss America. I was talented. I was smart. I still have the note cards that my dad wrote me with these words written on them. So, these words sunk in at an early age.   He built my confidence up so that no matter what others said or did, I knew who I was. And I still do to this day.

So what do you see when you look in the mirror? Do you see a failure?  Do you see an over comer?  Do you see a single mom?  Do you see a divorced husband or wife? Do you see someone who has succeeded in life? Do you see someone that is hopeless?  Do you see someone strong? What do you think others see when they look at you?

More than likely, they see what you may not.  Others aren't pointing out your flaws or short comings, most of the time.  You may have those that choose to see negative but the majority of folks will see the good.  They will point out the positive.

I have done this "experiment" on social media twice to see what others thought of me when they saw me or heard my name. I also had some single moms do the same. The responses were not what I expected at all and I believe the others moms were certainly encouraged.  Nothing was remotely close to what I  thought.

A mentor. Someone who gives grace.  An encourager. Strong. Awesome mom. Positive.  These are just a few of the words that were mentioned after I asked Facebook what they thought of when they saw me or heard my name.  Now these are people who truly know me and then some who know the "surface" Laurie.  No one said anything negative though I'm sure they had their own thoughts they kept to themselves.  But people choose to see good and speak good things over those they care about.  It's not always what you may think.  So next time you are down.  Next time you think you are nothing.  Next time you see yourself as a failure.  Next time... know that others see far more than you ever will!

People who truly love you will always seek the good in you. And those who want to focus on the "not so good" aren't going to be the ones you need to surround yourself with daily.  Place yourself among those who bring the best out in you.  Those who speak life.  Those who build you up and not tear you down.  Find those people and cling to them.

I challenge you today:  ask social media what they think of when they see you or hear your name.  You may be surprised!

Comments