Fear Not

I have fears. I know, who'd a thunk it? I don't like the dark. I don't like bad weather. And I don't like bridges. I'm not a fan of water either, that is water you can't see through.

Why am I telling you my fears?  Because my son and I were finishing up our last destination from Galeveston, TX to Orange Beach, AL.   Let me add, I'm not a fan of big cities, traffic or driving in any of the previously mentioned.

The weather called for rain at every single city we were headed to but somehow, we kept missing it.  I wasn't complaining.  We head out early in the morning so that we could enjoy some beach time before the sun set.  My little boy dozed off as usual when we travel leaving me to keep myself company.  I was singing and maybe even dancing a little. And then...the rain comes.  At first it was a sprinkle here and there and then the bottom fell out.  Let's back up, because I forgot to mention the bridge we had to cross.  I don't know how tall this bridge was but let me tell you, it was TALL! Like I would rather jump from a plane than cross this bridge.  So:

#1 I don't like bridges
#2 I don't like tall bridges
#3 I don't like tall bridges over water
#4 I don't like tall bridges over water in bad weather
#5 I don't like tall bridges over water in bad weather while traffic is at a stand still.
#6 I don't like tall bridges over water in bad weather while traffic is at a stand still behind an 18 wheeler (I don't like those either) while on the slope upwards!

Fear had a grip on me! This all took place AFTER the rain fell so hard it had traffic crawling.  I couldn't see anything except two red deviled eyes looking at me.  I was nervous. I was scared. I couldn't see so I know others couldn't. Then... out of nowhere, this truck comes flying by me. He nearly hit the truck in front of him so he attempted to get in my lane.  But he obviously didn't know I was there and somehow missed clipping the front of my truck. He swerved back in the left lane (because I was not about to be in the fast lane) and nearly rear ended the truck in front of him. The other truck was paying attention and was able to speed up to keep from being hit. Mr. Indestructible comes flying in front of me again and cuts of the truck beside me. Once again, not sure how he kept from hitting that truck. He started to fishtail and that's when my life flashed before my eyes. I could see it happening, He was going to start spinning which would cause the truck behind him to wreck. Which was right beside me. I was going to get nailed and start spinning around then the 18 wheeler behind me was going to broad side my truck where my little boy was sleeping. You see how fear controlled me. Within 5 seconds, I had us in a pile up. Hit on all sides. I was literally shaking. I was in tears. I have never been so scared in my life because everything was out of my control and in the hands of Mother Nature and other crazy drivers.  Fear had a grip on me and didn't let go.  I drove through the rain for 5 hours.  I drove through bad rain for about 2 of those hours.  I was ready to end our trip wherever the next exit took us. I couldn't take it anymore.  I knew something bad was going to happen to us. I prayed! Lord, I prayed. I cried out to God to protect us.  But fear still held onto me.

Fast forward, I couldn't get to or destination fast enough. I wasn't familiar with this route to Orange Beach because we typically leave from West Monroe, LA. I was focused and had one thing on my mind, to get to our condo! Three hours before reaching our stop, my truck went dead while we were in the gas station. Not to mention a gas station in the middle of no where. I just kept thinking God must be protecting us from something. He had to be. My truck "came to life" and I put the pedal to the metal! We couldn't stop and I just prayed my truck wouldn't stall on us before we got to our condo.

Well, we made it! An 8 hour trip turned into a 12 hour trip. Fear had a hold of me for those 12 hours. When my feet exited the vehicle, I literally wanted to kiss the ground I stood on.

Life can be like our 12 our trip. The storm comes. Trials come. We may even "go dead."  During the storms, fear can consume us. It can stop us dead in our tracks and keep us from reaching our destination. It can cause us to detour just like I wanted to on our trip. Fear. It causes so many from becoming what God created them to be. What if... Doubt... Worry... Confusion... The unknown... Don't let fear grip you like it did me. Place your future in the hands of God and leave fear behind! We all have a purpose we were created for... live with NO FEAR!

Comments