I Want To Judge Her

I visit LSU Medical Center in Monroe, La weekly for work.  This is a state run facility so you get a variety of people and that's putting it nicely.  You never know what or who you will see when you drive on the campus of this hospital.  If any of you have been here, then you know exactly what I am talking about. If you haven't, then just google the people of Wal-mart and you'll get an idea.

One day, as I was walking down the hallway, I ran across a lady in her 30's or 40's.  I honestly couldn't tell because by her looks, she's lived a hard life. My first initial thought was, "Wow!"  She was on the phone and hands were flying as she was fussing about someone.  She couldn't have weighed more than 90 pounds at the most.  Hair was greasy.  Tattoos all over her arms. (Don't throw me under the bus on the tattoo comment.).  I really wanted to take a picture or video and post it to social media with the status, "This is why we don't do drugs."  The word "crackhead" entered my mind as I watched her for no more than 2 seconds.  I was disgusted.  BUT GOD... Have you ever had those But God moments?  But God quickly put me in my place.  Laurie, where is your heart to love?  Where is your  compassionate heart for others?  Laurie, you are called to love others just as I have loved you.  For a split second, I did judge her.  But once I stepped foot outside, I begin to pray.  I prayed for God to take any hate from my heart.  Whatever was bad in me, I wanted it gone.

I could have ended up "that girl" had I continued down the path I was on. BUT GOD, showed me mercy and by the grace of God, I was able to take another road.  What led this lady to make the choices she did?  Her childhood?  One bad choice that led to many more bad choices?  Maybe others have thought the same thoughts I did as I passed her by and she figured, "What the heck.  What does it matter?"  Who is going to extend their hand and help this lady or others like her?  Will we all walk by and judge her and watch her as her life spirals downward?  Or will someone extend grace to her and show her the love of God?  Who will teach her another way of life?  Will you?  Will I?

I want to judge her -- but I can't. Neither can you.

Comments