Press 1 For English

We celebrated Labor Day at Lake Claiborne located in Homer, LA this year.  It's not too far from home and it's a perfect place to "unplug" from life.  You actually don't even have a choice.  There is no cell phone service unless you stand on your head in the kitchen.  And let's just say I wasn't that desperate to find out what was going on in the world around me. You are surrounded by water and woods.  Let's not forget the beautiful deer that grace the trails.  I wanted to take one home as a pet but not sure how well my pig would get along with the baby deer.  Or I'm not sure just how much the baby deer would like the buck that's hanging on my wall.

It was beginning to get cloudy one afternoon so I just sat by the water instead of sitting in a chair to work on my tan.  I'm not a fan of water you can't see through so I just sat my tail in the dirty sand and didn't move around.  It certainly wasn't like sitting on the shore of the white sandy beaches in Destin, FL but it was nice.  It was peaceful and calm.  Well, for a short period of time.  Not too long after I sat down, this little girl came up to me and wanted to know if I had any kids.  She was a little Mexican girl but spoke English very well.  I pointed to my little boy and explained to her that I had one child.  She seemed astonished that someone could only have one child.  That didn't last long though.  About 5 minutes later, I was surround by 7 little Mexican kids.  One captured my heart.  He was less than a year old and couldn't speak English.  Maybe he couldn't speak at all.  But we understood one thing, laughing.  I would splash water and he would burst out in a deep belly laugh.  He would run away for about one minute and then come back for more.  He made my day.  He brought joy to my heart.  The little girl that had originally come to visit with me told me that the little boy who stole my heart was her little brother.  The other kids struggled as they tried to talk to me but we did the best we could.  Our language may have created a barrier between us but laughter brought us together. 

It reminded me that we all need laughter in our life.  The Bible even mentions that a cheerful heart is good medicine.  Children are a gift from God.  They lift our spirits.  They remind us to enjoy the little things in life.  Such as splashing water.  Sometimes life is hard.  It can make you hard.  But then you run into a little boy who breaks down the walls that life has created around your heart.  You then burst with love.  Your heart overflows with joy because for a few minutes, you forgot about the world around you.  You got lost in the moment and let down your guard.  You let someone in your heart that would bring joy and laughter. 

Love is spoken around the world no matter what language you speak.  A smile is the same across the globe. Laughter is the same no matter where life takes us.  Don't let life break you.  Don't let it build walls that keep you from laughing or smiling.  Let your guard down and relax.  Life is good.  This little boy was a great reminder to "stop and smell the roses" or in this case, "stop and splash water."  There was no need to press 1 for English...we were speaking the same language when we shared a good laugh.

Comments