Where Were You

Those that were old enough to understand what took place on September 11, 2001, remember exactly where they were when the two planes flew into the World Trade Centers. I was a student at the University of Louisiana at Monroe at the time.  I was headed to my first class of the day when I decided to skip class and head to Shipley's Donuts in Monroe, LA. For those of you that are from this area, then you understand my decision. From the booth in that small donut shop, I watched the second plane fly into the second tower.  It was then, at that very moment, I knew our world would be changed forever.

Rewind 3 months prior to September 11, 2001.  June 11, 2001.  Does that date ring a bell to you? Do you happen to know what you were doing that day?  I happen to know exactly where I was when every single radio station broadcasted the news that Timothy Mcveigh had just been executed.  I was in the drive-thru of Wendy's in West Monroe, La.  Imagine that... that moment involved food.  My heart sank.  I cried.  I hurt.  I was grieving for the soul that took the lives of 168 innocent people.  Why?  How in the world could I feel any pity for this human being? But I wasn't the only one... I called someone very dear to me and explained how I felt.  Their words reflected mine.  They were also grieving.

If you have never read the article from the Business Insider about Timothy McVeigh, I recommend that you read it.  If you read it closely, a hint of his heart is exposed. McVeigh said that he didn't know a daycare was at the sight he chose to bomb. He said, in these words, "If I had known there was an entire day care center, it might have given me pause to switch targets."  Though he never apologized, to me, those words gave us a glimpse into his heart.

I can only imagine what would have been said about McVeigh had Facebook or social media existed on the day the bombing took place.  Hate. Death. I would be willing to bet that there would have been no words spoken in love. Why would anyone say anything remotely good about this individual?

You see, in McVeigh's interview, he mentioned that he did not believe in heaven or hell.  I will quote him below:

"If I'm wrong then I'll adapt, improvise and overcome."

I do not agree with anything he did. It was an evil act that affected innocent lives. But perhaps, if we as Christians would have prayed for him, would his final words had been any different? Is it possible that he could have accepted our Lord and Savior and repent?  Maybe he would have sought forgiveness. Why does any of this matter?

Because I see it too often, we as Christians are so quick to condemn.  Someone does something "bad" words fly from every direction.  Let's just "hang" everyone for their evil actions or mistakes. I see it every single day. Christians, or "so-called" Christians, attacking someone. Perhaps this person did wrong, but why speak death?  Why don't we fall to our knees and seek our Lord and Savior on this persons behalf? After all, we are called to be fishers of men.

Have you bad-mouthed our current presidential candidates? Better question, have you prayed for God to change their hearts since you disagree with them? Have you prayed for that person who hurt you or do you want to make sure everyone knows what they did to you?

I am guilty of talking too much instead of praying too much. Not that praying too much is possible but I am trying harder to pay close attention to my words.  Words over my life.  Words over others.  If they don't uplift them, then I need to be in prayer before I utter a word.  Prayer is powerful. Words are powerful. I want my heart to resemble my heart back on June 11, 2001.

Every person you meet represents a soul.  That soul will enter heaven or that soul will spend eternity in hell. What if we as Christians, could lead these lost souls to Christ?  This world would be a much better place. So the next time you feel like you have the right to lash out at or about someone, right or wrong, I challenge you to pray. Maybe we have the power to change this world, one prayer at a time.

Comments