Almost Bare


It's the end of 2016 and a new year is quickly approaching.  For some reason, I've felt the need to do a little "spring cleaning" this week.  And I'm talking scrubbing rooms from top to bottom and possibly throwing away everything that I can.  I have emptied 3 trash bags of "junk" from underneath my bathroom sink.  It's crazy just how much we can accumulate over time.  Things we cannot seem to part with because we may "need" it one day.  Nail polish that wouldn't even open sat in a bag for years collecting dust.  Pointless.  Clutter.  Mess.  My house was closing in on me and quickly.

I have lived in my home for a little over 6 years.  I downsized from a house that was twice the size of my current home so I had a lot of "stuff."  But all that "stuff" never stopped me from buying more.  More clothes.  More toys.  More furniture.  Just more everything.  It was exciting to decorate a new home.  It was fun to buy new toys for my growing little boy.  And the clothes...well, I may have needed more because I was a growing mom. The only thing...there wasn't any room for all of this additional "stuff."  I made it work or so I thought. 

So, here it is December 27, 2016 and I find myself getting rid of everything I've accumulated over the past 6 years or even prior to moving back to West Monroe.  Out with the old and in with the new.  Or just out with the old and new.  More room.  More space.  Clean.  No clutter.  Wide. Open. Space.  Less is more.  Simple is better. At least that's who I see it right now.  I don't have to have every inch of the wall covered in decor, pictures or deer horns.  It's okay if someone sees the actual color of the wall.

After cleaning and getting rid of a few larger items, I started to think about my life.  Not just my home but my heart.  I felt it necessary to get rid of some old things that I no longer used.  I even got rid of a few "favorites" just so I could have more space.  Then it occurred to me, maybe I am making room for what's to come.  I am preparing for something better but not just in my home, my heart.  When you get rid of the old, even things you love, you make room.  Sometimes it's hard to part with things we love but we know that it will be for the best.  We can hang onto it for a few years or even longer before realizing that it's no good for us anymore.  It's not doing anything but taking up space.  It may look pretty.  It may be cozy.  It may be old or it may be new.  But at some point, we have to let it go.  We have to part with "stuff" that is causing a mess.  It could be only to make your life a little more simple or it could be preparing you for "what's to come."

What is it in your life that you may need to let go of in order to make room for "what's to come."  What is it that you keep holding on to that's doing nothing but take up space.  Maybe today is the day to start cleaning out.  Getting rid of the old so that you can welcome in the new.  My home seems almost bare but there has been so much freedom in letting go or parting with my "stuff" that's been taking up too much space in my home. 

So here's to a new year.  A year of being simple.  A year of letting go.  A year of preparing for "what's to come."  Are you ready?

Comments