Finish Strong and Walk Away


I can't seem to get the words, "finish strong" out of my head.  There are a few days left in the year 2016 and I keep hearing, "finish strong."  It's not over.  There are a few more days.  Don't give up.  Keep pushing through.  Don't grow weary.  A lot can happen in a couple of days.  A lot can happen in a couple of hours. 

This year has been one of many ups and downs.  Highs and lows.  Good and bad.  Life and loss.  It's literally been a roller coaster ride all year long.  So much unknown.  Uncertainty.  Where do we go from here kind of moments.  It's been a year where I had to trust the unknown to a known God.  And that's not always easy.  I like to have things in my control.  I want to fix things and fix them right now.  Patience isn't my strong character trait.  But...I am learning.

As 2016 winds down...I am walking away from everything that is beyond my control.  And let me tell you...that's not easy.  I am leaving behind a year that has taught me so much.  A year that I experienced God like never before.  I have grown in ways I never would have without life happening around me.  Life that is a whirlwind of emotions.  Life that may seem unfair at times.  Life that can fill your heart with joy and happiness until it is about to explode.  Life is good.  God is good.  Never ever doubt that.

I always choose a word for each year.  For 2016, my word was promise.  It was a reminder that I am a promise.  I am His promise and I would also choose to stand on His promises no matter what I faced during 2016.  His word is true.  His word never fails and because of that, I was able to stand.  No matter what I faced, no matter what others said, no matter what events took place, I stood.  I stood on His promises over my life and over the life of my son.  When I doubted, I turned to His word.  When there was worry, I looked in the book of life.  When I was confused and when my emotions seemed to overtake me, I stood on His word.  And when the hard days seemed to be greater than my faith, someone else would remind me of God's promises.  He was always there...He always will be.

So as I walk away from one year and prepare for another, I keep hearing the word RESTORE.  I have been cleaning out my house for several months and it's as if I am preparing myself for something new or something more.  I am letting go.  I am getting rid of the old and perhaps getting ready for something new.  He makes beauty from ashes.  He makes ALL things new and that's what I believe will happen in 2017.  He will restore the joy of my salvation.  He will restore my hope.  He will restore my faith.  He will make something out of this beautiful mess.  So though things may seem to be broken or fragile...maybe they aren't quite what they once were...HE will restore.  HE will make beauty from ashes as we walk away from 2016 BUT finish strong.  He will always remain faithful when we may seem to drift away.  He will take us by the hand, pull us back and whisper in our ear "finish strong."  I'm not finished with you yet...I will restore you and make you whole!

Thank you 2016 for everything you taught me and I welcome you 2017 with open arms!      

Comments