Less is More

And just like that... it's over.  Wasn't it just Christmas?  Then New Year's Eve?  Now it's time for the kids to go back to school? Where does the time go? Seriously... it all happened so fast! Why can't the joyous moments in life have a "slow" button.  It's as if everything is on fast forward... let's see how quickly we can get these days behind us.  I don't like it.  I don't like it at all.

I have made it a top priority this year, 2017, to embrace each and every moment.  The good and the bad.  The happy and the sad.  The laughter and the tears.  These moments shape us.  These moments mold us.  Just a few weeks ago, we had to put our sweet cat Polo to sleep. It was incredibly sad and probably the most emotional I've ever seen my child. But it's a moment that we held each other and cried.  A moment I know my son will never forget.  And these moments with our kids matter.  I've stated many times here recently that less is more.  And that's so very true.  But one thing that we can't spend less of is time.  Time is valuable.  Time can't be bought or replaced.  It's here one minute and gone the next.  It's how memories are created.  Looking back at my childhood and even into adulthood, I remember time that my dad spent with me and my son.  With all of his family.   It was his gift.  A gift that can never be replaced.  A gift I hope my son never forgets.  Time sacrificed for us to eat lunch together.  Time playing ball together.  Time praying together.  Time making things together.  Time spent together at church.  Time spent with family.  Time that wasn't ever wasted is the time he will remember.  I haven't been the best at making the most of my time.  But it's not too late.  It's never too late for those of you reading this.

So as we all prepare for either one of the best (or worst) mornings of 2017 as we get the kids fed and out the door... slow down.  Remember these days aren't forever. They are short.  Let's make traditions that our kids will remember. Let's show them how much they are loved by investing our time.  Less social media and more interaction with our kids.  Put your phone down (as I type from my phone) and enjoy the precious gift right in front of you.  Kids. Family. Friends.  Life is short to let it pass us by.  Make these moments matter for eternity.  That's something you can never regret.

Comments