A Whole New World


Did you sing the title of this blog post to the tune of Aladdin's "A Whole New World?"  I sure did as I was typing it but this post has nothing to do with Aladdin.  It has to do with our culture.  Our world today.

If any of you follow me on social media, then you know my world changed around the middle of November 2016.  It was an answer to a prayer that I didn't even realize had been answered until later.  It amazes me how God answers our prayers.  They may not be as we specifically prayed but they are far better when it's the will of God.  His plans far exceed ours.  Have any of you ever experienced an answer to prayer that was different than the outcome you expected? 

My answer to prayer was a 16 year old girl from Mexico.  Daniela.  She's changed my life.  She came here to experience America but during her year, she forever changed my life.

Her parents recently visited with us in West Monroe, LA.  During their stay, I was humbled.  My eyes were open to see our world through other peoples' eyes.  Our little town of West Monroe was seen as beautiful.  The trees I often take for granted were appreciated.  The homes, not the large elaborate homes, but the small homes were also described as beautiful.  Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE our culture here in the south.  But I am guilty of taking things for granted.  Our technology is advanced.  The way we prepare our meals are much easier and quicker than Mexico.  Sometimes we need a reminder of the life we have.  Regardless of our circumstances, we need to remember that life is good. 

The first day Daniela's parents arrived, my son and I were immediately considered family.  Another prayer answered.  I have sat down at my kitchen table numerous times and prayed.  I prayed for it to be full.  I prayed for laughter to surround it.  I have prayed for a big family.  As the years pass, my family seems to get smaller and smaller.  I love family.  I love big families.  Who would have thought that my prayer would be answered in the way it was?  My family grew.  It grew in a way I would have never imagined.  I now have family in Mexico that I will forever be my family.  My son gained brothers and a sister in the process.  There may be a language barrier at times but one thing is for sure, love is always understood. 

I witnessed the love between a husband and wife.  I watched Daniela love her mom and dad after being away from them for months.  They were genuine.  They were kind.  They were full of laughter and brought so much joy to everyone.  They were grateful.  One evening as we were sitting at a large table, my eyes began to tear up.  I had family surrounding me.  And the only one that was blood was my son.  Daniela's dad said grace for us that night and reminded me what life was all about, "moments like this."  Two different worlds.  Two different languages.  One heart.  One family.  Thank you GOD! 

Slow down.  Enjoy where you are in life.  Open your eyes to the culture around you.  Let God lead you and trust His will is far greater than you could ever imagine.

Prayers aren't always answered immediately... Prayers aren't always answered like you want them to be.  Look around...have you overlooked an answered prayer because you are so focused on the outcome you wanted?  Be careful or you may miss out on one of the biggest blessings of your life.



Comments