The Day I Said Yes

Do you have those memories that you can remember exactly where you were and what you were doing?  September 11th is one I can remember from beginning to end.  The day my dad called me to tell me he had cancer the first time.  The day my dad called me to tell me he had cancer the second time. Memories I sometimes wish I could forget but I can't.

But there is one that happened recently.  I was walking one November morning when a text came across my phone.  It was from a friend that I talk to occasionally.  She asked me a question and hours later I said yes to her question.  It was a God ordained moment and I didn't even know it.

A couple of weeks later, my son and I welcomed a 16 year old female from Mexico into our home. What in the world had I gotten myself into this time?  I am a single mom.  I already have a zoo.  We have one bathroom in our tiny home.  Did I really think this through?  Am I about to experience the worst 7 months of my life?  What if she hates us?

As the months turn into weeks and the weeks into days... I realize it was the best yes I have ever said.       My son and I are learning how to bend.  How to compromise when it's been about us the past 9 years.  We didn't have to worry about anyone else.  We did what we wanted to do... when we wanted to do it.  I didn't have to choose which child to watch because I only had one.

My son is learning that there are others in the world.  The world doesn't revolve around him.  I don't love him any less but I have learned to love differently.  I've experienced things I never would have had I not said yes to hosting an exchange student.  I've gotten to enjoy having a little girl.  Our family grew and felt complete for once in our lives.  It wasn't just the two of us during the holidays.  I had someone to share the joys of an innocent child at Christmas.  My little boy has had a cheering section at his ball games and someone to share his excitement with when he gets home from school.  

What we gained over the past several months will change our lives forever.  I'm not going to say goodbye but see you later.  We gained many new family members when Daniela entered our lives.  I'm pretty sure that anyone who has met her will agree she's a treasure.

Thank you Daniela for being the best and exceeding any expectations we may have had about you! We love you BIG!!

Comments