I Heard That

What do you remember about your mom or dad when you were growing up?  What significant moments stand out when you think about your childhood?  Maybe you were closer to your grandparents than you were your actual parents.  What stands out when you look back at the days or nights spent with them?  Can you recall specific moments or words?

I can remember most evenings as I would make my way to my bedroom, my mom would be in her chair (along with a dog or two) and my dad on the couch.  I would hug them both, tell them good night and that I loved them.  My mom would usually be reading a magazine or watching a TV show.  My dad would be watching tv most nights and be in control of the remote.  Those nights were probably the evenings my mom would be reading her magazine.  Nothing special about those nights (at the time) but it was a routine I can remember even today.

Meals around the table.  Holiday traditions.  Birthdays.  Field day, for you West Monroe, LA folks, you know the importance of this day.  Moments that you can vividly remember.

What about words said?  Can you remember certain conversations that you had with someone from your childhood?  Growing up, my dad would always tell me that his mom would sit in her rocking chair and read her Bible. That's a significant moment to me.  A moment that mattered for eternity. A child remembering his mother reading her Bible. Daily. Not every other week or once a month.  But daily.  It was her source of strength as a widow as she raised four young boys.

Recently I visited someone and noticed a Bible, one that had most certainly been used, sitting on a dresser.  I asked about the Bible and the lady told me that it was her Grandmother's Bible.  She said her Grandmother would read it out loud when she was a little girl.  Something I have never thought to do.  I have memorized scriptures.  I have taught my son scriptures but never have I thought to read my Bible out loud.  Why not?  It doesn't matter if my son is listening or not because he hears ALL.  How many can attest to this?  You are riding down the road having a conversation with someone.  Your child is playing games or fidgeting with something paying no attention to you.  So you thought.  Next thing you know your child is asking you 90 thousand questions about the conversation you didn't even have with him.  Kids listen.  They can recall songs and probably sing them word for word.  Better than we can.  Their memory is amazing at a young age.  So why not verbally remind them of God's word.  His promises.  Life.  That way their roots will be deep in scripture.

It is vital that we verbally speak life over our children.  Life from God's word.  Words that bring life.  It matters.

Have you ever uttered something under your breath or maybe your child softly speaks something so you can't hear?  The immediate response, "I heard that."

I wish all of my words were a life giving fountain but truth be told...I have a long way to go.  But I can only hope and pray that when I hear the words, "I heard that." It will be words of life.










Comments