Oh, Grow Up

Oh, Grow Up

My son is 9 years old. There are days I look at him and I see a teenager.  Other days, I see my baby boy.  It is certainly bittersweet.

Kendall, my son is a third grader at Kiroli Elementary School in West Monroe, LA.  I held him back in the first grade.  Not because he was immature.  Not because his grades were bad.  But because I thought it would be good for him down the road.  I’ve never heard anyone say they regret holding their child back. But this isn’t a debate about hold backs.  

Since my son is typically a year older than his classmates, I notice a difference in maturity.  It may be one year but that one year is huge.  However, I still see my son holding on to his imagination.  His childlike tendencies.  Now, he doesn’t want to watch Mickey Mouse Playhouse but he does love his army men and cars.  He loves to have races all around the house.  It’s a complete obstacle course... not the track, but me getting around it all. The other day I was cleaning the bathroom and I noticed three little men lined up on the edge of the bathtub.  It ALMOST made me cry.  I saw my little boy.  My baby.  Still using his creativity and still wanting to be a little boy. 

But so often those around me act as if boys need to grow up and not enjoy their childhood.  The only childhood they will get.  I understand I don’t want my son watching Barney the day he graduates high school.  I never allowed Barney anyway.  But ya gotta love that big, purple dinosaur.  He’s full of so much love. 

However, if my son wants to play with his cars and army men... so be it.  He’s in between stages that makes it hard for a mama to watch.  I am learning to embrace the days he walks out of the house smelling like a little man.  I am trying to savor every single moment with him when he asks if we can pretend we are camping.  Or those nights he wants me to hold him.  There are far less “little” boy days and I don’t want to wish them away.  

I want him to always dream and I don’t want to be the one to crush his innocence.  

So to those who may want their child to grow up fast... that’s fine.  But don’t judge those who want to hang on to their childhood just a little longer.  


Children are a gift from God and if you just sit back and watch them... you’ll understand why His word speaks of childlike faith.  We can learn so much from kids. 

Comments