Just Be



Panic mode has set in.  What have I been doing the past ten years of my life.  I don’t have much time left.  I have to kick it into gear and cram every single life lesson I can into the next 8 years.  I don’t even know where to begin.  So, what do I do?  I just be... be present. Be intentional.  Be active.  Be a listening ear.  Be an example.  Be his mom.  Be his friend.  Be a shoulder.  But most of all... just BE.

Why all of a sudden?  Because my son is about to turn the big 1-0! What?  How is that even possible?  Ten years have flown by and now I am beginning to feel a little anxious.  I’m losing more time.  I’m losing days. I’m losing moments.  I’m losing my baby.  I know some of you are saying, "Just wait."  You don't have to tell me... I already know.  

I now have less years ahead of me with my son than I do behind me.  That makes me want to lock my son in his room to keep him safe from this world.  A world that will take away his innocence.  A world that will come at him from every direction.  A world full of heartache and hurt.  

But that’s not practical.  All I can do is prepare him the best way I know how. 

Prepare him for everything I just mentioned.  The world will take from him but it will also give back.  Teach him that there will be heartache but there will also be joy.  His innocence will become less and less as he gets older but he can still protect his heart and mind.  Just because he's in this world doesn't mean he has to become like this world.

I keep repeating to myself, “Make every single day count.”  Put aside the things that don’t matter.  Put the phone down.  Turn the TV off.  Play.  Laugh.  Talk.  Listen.  Pray.  Read the word.  Speak words of life.  Be kind.  Be intentional.  Be present.  Be there.  Be here

My son is growing up right before my eyes.  I can see change.  I literally see him becoming less and less of a little boy and more and more a little man.  A future husband.  A future father.  A future warrior.  

So, on this day, I honor my son.  Ten years ago today, he was to make his appearance but he held out a few more days. 

To those that have poured into my son over the past ten years... I thank you.  I promise you have made a difference in his life and taught him how to be a man.  

God, help me...Help us...make every single day count.


Comments