It Won't Happen To Us


My son and I recently took a trip to Chicago.  We had boarded the plane and were looking forward to the take off.  I'm still like a little kid flying for the first time. I want to see it all and experience it all.  I was literally pushing my kid out of the way so I could see.  I'm also the mom that will eat the last bite of food. I want to get in on the action, too.   

As we were preparing for take off, the flight attendant was instructing us on what to do should the plane go down.  Not one person was paying attention.  I really wasn't going to but decided that I would this time. I typically just stare out the window.  I mean... the plane isn't going to go down.  That happens to other people... right?

We were being told what to do in case of an emergency.  Chances are not one single person would really know what to do.  We would all enter panic mode and fumble around trying to figure it all out. I doubt many have been in a situation that required them to prepare for an emergency landing but no one seemed to be worried.

On our flight back home, I do believe the engines shut off as we were ascending.  We had already had some technical issues and were delayed three hours so it didn't surprise me.  My heart sank.  I didn't know what to do.  I looked around and there was panic on everyone's face.  The flight attendants weren't doing anything and the pilot never said a word.  It felt like eternity until we heard the loud engines roaring again.  In my mind, I had prepared for the worse.  I was going to hold my little boy tight and squeeze him as we approached our final moments of life.  We were going down together.  I was SICK.  I guess it was going to actually happen to us this time.  WE were  the ones that were going to be on the news and that would be it.  

We didn't crash but we easily could have.  

Rewind to our first flight.  As I was watching our flight attendant give instructions, I thought about life.  Are we really prepared for life?  Do we read the instructions given to us in the Book of Life?  Do we listen to those around us that have already experienced hardships?  Do we watch those that live out their faith during the valleys of life or do we just sit by the window waiting for take off?

Am I prepared?  Are you prepared?

Everyone always thinks... that will never happen to me... but guess what?  It does.  You WILL experience darkness.  You will go through deep valleys.  You will experience loss.  Your world will be rocked at some point in life.  Are you ready?

I don't know if we can ever fully prepare for what life throws our way but I do believe we can equip ourselves better.  

We can start by reading His word.  We can cling to His promises.  We can stand on His truth.  We can be in communication with Him daily so that WHEN... not IF... bad times comes... We will be "somewhat" prepared. 

Don't ignore the instructions.        

Comments