You Shouldn't Feel Guilty

I'm not one to nap.  I don't like to sit and watch TV.  It's nearly impossible for me to "chill" at my house.  I like to go.  I like to do.  

So when I feel the urge to rest... it's hard.  It's very difficult for me to let things get pushed aside regardless of their importance.  Like I need to water my plants right now because it's 500,000 degrees outside.  If you live in Louisiana, then you know I'm not exaggerating.  We are melting over here folks.  I need to unload the dishwasher and do a few loads of laundry.  I need to prepare for the week and purchase a few snacks so my kid doesn't go to school hungry because this past week, bless his heart, I ruined his breakfast three days in a row! THREE!! It's obvious that I need to rest.

But it's hard.  Why is it so hard to rest?  For me, I feel as if I'm being lazy or even see myself as a failure if I'm not constantly doing something.  I watch others blow and go as if they are continually plugged in to a charging device.  It blows my mind at times.  But I have to realize that we were all created to be different.  Our bodies are different.  Our lives are different.  

If you are like me and feel like you need to take a day to rest, then rest.  Stop feeling guilty.  Quit comparing yourself to others.  Stop over analyzing everything.  Make yourself a priority.  You can only run on fumes for so long until you crash. 

So before you crash, rest.  Our best work will be done when we are energized and rested.  Our mood will be completely different when we aren't holding our eyelids open with toothpicks.  Our emotions won't be like a roller coaster.  Up and down and all around.

If you haven't felt like yourself lately, take a seat.  If you find yourself more emotional the past few days, lay your head down.  If you feel overwhelmed, grab a blanket.  Whatever your definition of rest is... do it!  

You may feel like you are missing out if you decide to take a day of rest but I believe we miss out on more when we are exhausted.

Know that it's okay to REST.

    






Comments